Complete France Forum

Derek Conway MP

Hoddy

An interesting sideline of the scandal involving Derek Conway is the revalation that he was also the Director of th Cat’s Protection League at a salary of £75000 a year. On searching the internet I found that in addition, he was also Managing Director of CPL Enterprises which is the trading division of of the CPL, and also Director of CPL nominees which is the shareholding operation for the investments of the CPL..

I’ve been concerned for some time about the way charities in general are becoming more professional and costly to administer.

I wonder how the people who donated to this charity feel about it ?

Hoddy

I'll never forget something that my new boss said to me about expenses umpteen years ago as a newly-arrived.

"We might one day have a discussion about whether you should have spent this that or the other, or for that matter whether you should have spent that much on something.  But let's never have a discussion about whether what you're claiming, you spent at all."

Wise words IMO, often repeated by me to others and unashamedly 'pinched' from him.  This gentleman might have done well to have heard those words.  Doubt that they'd have penetrated though. 

Archived