Complete France Forum

70 Million Mobile Phones, 60 Million People - How?

The Riff-Raff Element

I found this on the Beeb today. The article is actually about 'phone boxes and who still uses them (I do, if I can find one. Some seem to have been turned into Starbucks and similar, but most just vanished), but in it they mention that there are 70 million mobile 'phones in use in the UK.

Even if we include those with no network coverage (there are some, appearantly), those sad, sad people like me who don't have one and the under-5's, this means that about one person in six has more than one mobile 'phone. And probably a landline. And a 'phone at work...how do they find time to do anything but talk and text? Are there people out there who text on two 'phones simultaneously while using a third one hands free to carry on a conversation with their mums?

What would Darwin make of this in evolutionary terms, I wonder?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7228184.stm

Do you mean that there are people who are so poor that they can only afford one mobile phone? Disgraceful, Britain really is going to the dogs. We didn't fight two world wars in order to have to put up with such things. I blame the Eastern European immigrants, clogging up our health service, taking our jobs, forcing down property values, and lowering our phone-owning averages.

Hello

It's fairly normal to have one mobile for work and one for personal use, it means you can leave the work one behind at the weekend and be certain that only people who have  your private number can call!!  I still have a UK mobile because my current contract insists on it, it must cost them a bomb as I often receive calls from the US and Aus.  At least I save them some money by using my VoIP phone to make calls which are included in the one off cost per month (7 euros). 

So I am one of your two mobile phone carriers and everyone I have ever worked with in the IT industry was the same.

Panda

Many UK civil servants have two mobile phones - work and personal. I know  at least one person who was sacked by the DWP for using his work phone for undeclared personal calls. Most just simply don't take the risk and carry a personal phone as well.

Many employers have group contracts with the mobile providers at special rates and therefore insist that employees use their provider. This often does not suit the employee (e.g the company provider does not allow roaming services) - so they also carry a personal phone.

I didn't check where the statistics are coming from - is this actual phones or subcribers?. A quick check reveals 9 mobile phones in this household of two people - only two are on subscription. (must get round to throwing out all the junk technology I've collected over the years.)

Even if it is just subscribers there will be a significant overstatement of phones actually in use. If you change (or cancel) your contract from one provider to another then the original provider will hold your subscription open for up to twelve months (in case you want to switch back). That no doubt exagerates the actual number of subscribers.

If none of these are the answer then I'm sure Will is correct - MUST be all the illegal immigrants and/or polygamous benefit claimants.

rgds

Hagar

Quite agree with you WB.  My very old fashioned portable is taken out with me when I am in the car in case I break down and need to call a garage and no-one other than my children know the #.  If anyone wants me, I have a landline with a repondeur. Jen

I have 4 mobile phones [:$] but dont blame me , its my husband who seems to think i need a newer up to date one every 6 months, he is always bringing them home for me , sadley each one gets used about once a month if that. and none of the all singing all dancing options on them ever get used. as I only ever text. but I do have one for france which is useful as we dont have a house phone. But really I hate the things [:(]  

Archived