Complete France Forum

Sharon Osborne...Good role model???

Carolski

One last try to see is anything is to happen re music????

Are some oof you going to the Picnic in June Mirambeau?
Please do not worry.......this is not Jeff Beck on your forum.

We...the guitar player and I are probably just less than two hours away.....

What about some of you musicians???

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote user="raindog"][quote user="Weedon"]

So what is it with bagpipes, I said.  Sometimes watercress wouldn't taste the same after a game or two they all agreed. 

At which point we agreed to differ.

Good old Simon, what?

[/quote]
Weedon, i'm a bit pissed, because i've been watching the rugby - but....what are you on about?[8-)]
[/quote]

Doggie....Just had a quick shufty through the various pages here and thought RH must have opened a window which let all the various words blow about to settle in no particular order.  I just reached out to close the said window and couldn't help notice a few odd words scattered about.  So I thought I would tidy up.

[quote user="jon"]

One last try to see is anything is to happen re music????

Are some oof you going to the Picnic in June Mirambeau?
Please do not worry.......this is not Jeff Beck on your forum.

We...the guitar player and I are probably just less than two hours away.....

What about some of you musicians???

[/quote]

Sadly, too far away for me, jon.

Right at the other end of the country!

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Weedon:

Have you thought about a new career, writing political speeches?

[:D]

[/quote]

I wish I had the imagination Gluey...I have trouble getting past the voices in my head, much the same as the ones that told Blair to invade Iraq[geek]

[quote user="Russethouse"]Weedon, Close the window.......quickly ![:)][:)][/quote]

It's closed.

RH, your end of term report in domestic science will say"must try harder." Your filing system is a shambles[Www]

May I request an extra item for the Forum Code of Conduct :- Youngsters on the forum must not post things that are likely to confuse the older members.  I am still coming to terms with the modern notion that dinner is at bedtime, dinner comes in the middle of the day...lunch is eaten mid-morning once milking is completed.[8-)]

[quote user="Weedon"]

I am still coming to terms with the modern notion that dinner is at bedtime, dinner comes in the middle of the day...lunch is eaten mid-morning once milking is completed.[8-)]

[/quote]

Quite right Weedon, why would we have had dinner-time and dinner-ladies and dinner-money mid-day if we were going to eat dinner in the evening?  In my salad days  it was breakfast, followed by dinner, and then tea.  If I was allowed to stay up late I might even have had some supper, but that would only have been on Guy Fawkes night or for the Eurovision song contest.

Why do I sound as if I'm talking about the last century [Www]

Lunch, in the mid-day meal sense, was thought up at much the same time as the 24 hour clock and celsius came about.  I'm convinced it was a ruse thought up in order to confuse the russkies and "the reds under your beds."  Ever since the celsius (sp?) came into being, global warming started.... had you noticed?  Has deportation ended for stealing a sheep yet, as I have noticed a couple in a field close by?

Doesn't it depend which part of the UK once comes from?  To my mother, it is and always has been breakfast, lunch then dinner (she was born in London to Cornish parents whom one might well have referred to as 'a bit posh') to my Da' - a miner's son from the North East - it was breakfast, dinner then tea (and possibly supper afterwards!)

Now then Coops you can't just throw that in and leave it there.

So, we have a refined sweet young thing saying things like "come ere me luvver" with the odd "plates of meat" and "can't come out tonight as I ave to wash me barnet" thrown in (that's your mum in case you thought I meant your da)

Then you have your da with his sleeves rolled up and white eyes surrounded by a sooty face pushing a pint towards your mum saying "thars plenty more whars thar cam from pet"

How did they meet?

It was not a marriage made in heaven!![:-))]

They met in Newcastle after the war (they were both on active service) when my father was at uni' there and my mother training to be a physio'.  The old student thing.  My paternal grandmother was a teacher.  My mother's father had a huge estate in Cornwall, which he sold before moving to London.  He was a barrister but never worked - just lived off the money he'd made from selling all the family silver! He converted to catholicism and had eleven children who all went to expensive boarding schools, and by the time he died there was very little money left.  My parents divorced in the early seventies - they never did sought out the language thing.....

Always been an interesting one this.

Tiffin was toast or a dry biscuit with "Wake Up" tea.

Breakfast was after one was dressed.

Luncheon was circa mid-day.

Tea was rather lovely stuff like posh cucumber sandwiches followed by preserves and jam on thinly sliced bread, followed by wonderfully delicious seedy cake.

Dinner was the formal "Big One".

Supper was snacky after the theatre or the opera or whatever.

Having experienced some of this as a kid, like soup followed by steamed halibut and white parsley sauce, followed by the entre, followed by the pud and then the cheese (or sometimes the cheese first and then the pud) and finally the coffee................. for lunch!!! With two types of wines of course.And a large GT or two beforehand.

And breakfasts where a groaning sideboard held porridge, fruit, cold ham cuts, all sorts of eggs, kedigree, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, followed by umpteen slices of toast and marmalade or preserves and tea of coffee.................

Why weren't aristos and upper middle class people 50 stone and dead? After all, they didn't do much: not even dress themselves!

Chasing the tweenies: foxes? Other aristos? The boot boys?

Last time I had (and thoroughly enjoyed!) English tea, was at Browns Hotel in Dover street, opposite the Ritz one Winter sunday, around the fire in the lounge.

Loads of wonderfully "County" ladies with lace up broques, twinsets and pearls and tweedy skirts

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Thats all very well Cat, but when did you eat lunch?[8-)]

What are lunch boxes for (no references to Linford Christie allowed [:$])

[/quote]

Lunch (for me) was something light like sandwiches, which would be packed (as a packed-lunch) in a lunch box ready to be transported somewhere.  Something that was eaten away from home, which I supposes is why we have the phrase picnic-lunch.

Upper class folks might have eaten luncheon, but I bet they didn't eat luncheon meat or use luncheon vouchers. 

(See didn't mention Linford once... ooops) [:$]

Blimey Gluey, we never had that kind of stuff for our brekkie.

Bread and dripping[Www] or bread and lard[+o(]  In the winter was bread and hot milk.  Sometimes we would have bread and sugar.  Bit of a theme there.

At school we would have cod liver oil and malt, I don't recall anybody being obese, strange that.

For our tea at night us kids would have bread, butter and jam, our dad would have a cooked meal.

I have just remembered something gruesome.  At school if somebody was lucky enough to have an apple we would say "bags I have the core."  First one to say "Bags" gets to have the core, deeeelish.  If the kid with the apple had a snotty nose nobody "bagsied" the core[+o(]

Edit

Just remembered, sunday was always a roast (at dinner time= 1pm) listening to Billy Cotton Bandshow, Family Favourites or Life with the Lyons.

How far we can come from Ms Osborne... (some would say bl**dy goodo.)

I was trawling round Friend Reunited and came across a woman who lived 3 doors from me when we were kids and we were in the same class at school (in Leeds, as it happens.)  I asked her if she remembered me and she said, "Yes, of course.  You were the one whose mother always cooked her a huge breakfast every day.  I was lucky if I got a cup of tea..."

Yes it was a nice experience to have tea at Browns.

Rather nicely tea or lunch..... receievd at The Royal Berjkshire 15 years ago...maybe 20....and then play croquet after that.

Thats in  Russet Houses part of the world......very charming part of UK.

Yes that is the one.

Russet House...and anyone in the Berkshire/Bucks area should   youhave a day at Kew Gardens....and then go to [very suitable for children...lovely small dishes of wonderful  things....menue available on line.Tapas restautant El Vino somehwere near kew station...extreemly good value.Yes miss this......

[quote user="Weedon"]

Blimey Gluey, we never had that kind of stuff for our brekkie.[/quote]

I'm sure neither did most of us!

One of the hardest things to find, these days for me, is a really good English breakfast. I've suffered some horrors in the past few years when staying in hotels on business.

Probably the best in recent memory was in the mid 80s when staying at the Bell in Malmesbury. Wonderfully creamy porridge; full English with Wiltshire breakfast sausages and bacon. Loads of decent toast and a bottomless coffee pot, to linger over the paper with.

I'm a complete believer in the wisdom of Somerset Maugham: "To eat well in England, one has to eat breakfast three times a day!"

In fact Ms Gluey and I were out last night at my old golf club for a function; the old (wonderful!) chef was long gone.

The new management believe that square plates and saucers are an excellent substitute for decent food!

It wasn't only me, I noticed, that was vainly attempting to place their coffee cup in the centre of what passed for a saucer!

The meal was, frankly, dreadful and 13 quid for a bottle of alleged Cote de Rhône Village that was worse than the one I buy in our local French Aldi for two quid really hacked me off..............................

Can there possibly be a better culinary experience than the "Full English" For me it doesn't seem to matter what the establishment is, as invariably the intense frying heat will kill off any nasties if the kitchen is at all suspect.  That being said, Brittany Ferries manage to do something extraordinary to the ones I have had onboard their boats.

My mind, strangely enough, immediately goes back to the days when a dozen or so of us would often call in at a wooden structured caff (painted blue) on the old A20 between Ashford and Hythe for breakfasts on a Sunday when on route to Folkestone.  That was before the M20 was thought of.  It's got to be tea in a mug for me though.

Archived