Complete France Forum

Did the Earth move for you?

MrCanary

Good to see that Mother Nature has provided all the UK news outlets with something different this morning.

Here in Norwich, my wife and I were woken just before 1.00am with walls, windows, furniture and floors shaking. And it felt as though a giant had hold of our bed shaking that as well. What a missed opportunity!

Interesting reports on that link Cathy. Yes, it was very noticeable with the strength of the thing being underlined by seeing our solid brick walls shaking. But quite why (as in the article) people felt the need to spend ten minutes re-ringing 999 to tell the emergency services about it, I do not know...

(Oh, and perhaps we ought to let the journalist know that it is 'breaking in' and not 'braking in' - can't get the staff these days!)

Earthquake

We never felt a thing but we got told about it just after 1:00 by our

son phoning (waking us up) from Lincoln to see if we were OK. That

horrible feeling when you get a late call you aren't expecting and

hearing his voice... what had gone wrong, what disaster had struck?

Couldn't get back to sleep after.

It was totally over the top coverage particularly by the BBC.  One of their no doubt local journalists trying to make a name for himself said "it was the sound of an Underground train coming towards me...........  in Lincolnshire[+o(] and the aftershock sent me running into the street"........  despite the aftershock being so small that scientists said it was too small to have been felt!!

The coverage put me in mind of that Andy Parsons bit on Mock The Week. "In Turkey today an earthquake destroyed hundreds of houses killing and trapping thousands of people under debris"

"Meanwhile in Britain an earthquake of 5.1 on the Richter scale brought down three chimney pots and dislodged a hanging basket narrowly missing a cat" 

Nobody was hurt by the massive tremour except a man injured in Barnsley 100 miles away yeeah right!!.  As a point of interest as scientists will tell you the measurement on the Richter scale means nothing, its the amount of time that the quake lasts that determines how much damage can de done The one that devestated Lisbon was very low on theRichter scale but lasted for 11 seconds, one second longer than the one this morning according to the BBC!!

[quote user="Cat"]

Apparently it measured 5.3 on the richter scale, and was the biggest in the country for 24 years!

Norwich Evening News article

[/quote]

Easy to see what caused the tremour, according to the Norwich Evening News it was  "our family woke to the whole house shacking"

Shacking up with next door or the one across the road I wonder[:-))].

I wonder if anybody was doing "percy filth" at the time, they must have been somewhere in East Anglia if so can they phone GMTV and tell them please, was it the best ever, did the earth really move.[:D]

I would accept that much of the coverage is 'over the top' but that is what happens when there is not too much news about. BBC TV spoke to one man in Lincolnshire, whose name I recognised as possibly a member of their staff, who gave the most graphic and romanticised account of how it was much, much worse than anything he had ever experienced in LA!

As for the length of time, from my experience it was undoubtedly about 10 seconds.

On your last point Ron, I refer you to Russethouse's post..... "Odd sensation but very quick...."

Over the top reporting ? Well maybe, but a large proportion of the UK population had been woken in the night and it was news that many wanted to know about. Incidentally there was a noise like a train and the house did shake like jelly and I'm nowhere near Market Rasen.

Hoddy

Didn't feel a thing - very fast asleep by that time.  Gather some in Central London did though.  Mind you, one of my mousetraps has disappeared - completely (having caught two mice yesterday!!)  Inanimate ones, that is, not a cat - weird or what !!!!!

This is what our daughter (living in Yorkshire, just north of the M62) had to say about it in her email: "We're fine, other than a disturbed night. It was unnerving, but that's about all there was to it.  As far as we can tell, there wasn't any damage to the house, though it did rattle around for what seemed like a long time!"

It was obviously strong enough to wake them up and they work so hard that they normally sleep like the proverbial logs.

With all the news on TV lately about the extreme weather conditions affecting the East Coast of the US, the mud slides in the Middle East and South America, we shouldn't forget that Britain has its share of devastation too.

I've attached a photo illustrating the damage caused to a friend's home from the earthquake that hit us last night.

It really makes you cherish what you have, and reminds us not to take things for granted.

[IMG]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb233/Pierrezfp/damage22.jpg[/IMG]

Archived