Complete France Forum

Happy St David's Day

DZ

April 23rd is St George's Day, being the patron saint of England. 

The patron saints of the UK are:

Wales - St David - March 1st

Ireland - St Patrick - March 17th

England - St George - April 23rd

Scotland - St Andrew - November 30th

Generally within the UK, I have found that the Celtic nations tend to be more patriotic than the English which is why St Georges day is more low key perhaps.  Speaking as a Galloise, I believe it may be because we have lived under British (English) Parliament for centuries which, is not a problem for us these days.  However, the celebration of St Davids day, Welsh Rugby (sometimes[:$]), Welsh choirs etc are a symbol of our national identity. Stories of Owain Glyndwr really stir the senses in Wales. 

It often confuses me, especially on this Forum where many of the English members seem to show now interest in England or English things.  It seems that it is considered nationalistic.  Perhaps the English are more politically correct, but I embrace national and cultural celebration myself.  What a boring world it would be if we were all the same.

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Generally within the UK, I have found that the Celtic nations tend to be more patriotic than the English which is why St Georges day is more low key perhaps.  Speaking as a Galloise, I believe it may be because we have lived under British (English) Parliament for centuries which, is not a problem for us these days.  However, the celebration of St Davids day, Welsh Rugby (sometimes[:$]), Welsh choirs etc are a symbol of our national identity. Stories of Owain Glyndwr really stir the senses in Wales. 

It often confuses me, especially on this Forum where many of the English members seem to show now interest in England or English things.  It seems that it is considered nationalistic.  Perhaps the English are more politically correct, but I embrace national and cultural celebration myself.  What a boring world it would be if we were all the same.

[/quote]

Don't think England has its own parliament. Perhaps once it gains independence from Scotland, Wales & NI it will [;-)] But I get your meaning.

Archived