Complete France Forum

Strange attitude?

powerdesal

One of my Engineers (an Indian) told me a news story today.............

Last week there was a meeting of the various Indian Muslim leaders. Following their deliberations they pronounced that private medical insurance was anti-Islamic because they considered it to be gambling - WHAT?????[8-)]

I was lost for words.

There is a school of Muslim thought that believes all insurance is un-Islamic, because God decides whether or not a thing will happen and to insure against appears to question his will. If you accept the inital premise that there is a God and he's all-powerful, then it's a logical follow-on. Fundamentalists of all religions tie themselves in similar knots. It isn't peculiar to Islam.

"And the UAE stockmarket is thriving, if thats not gambling what is?"  It is un-Islamic, so is usury, so is boozing (and smoking - musn't take anything harmful into your body), so is the idea of having kings and sultans and emirs - there are no ranks in Islam. No Gulf country is a democracy -  they are all ruled by autocrats who are in the pockets of the Americans and the British who make a lot of money by selling them arms in return for their oil. I sincerely hope today's good news from the House of Lords means that the massive corruption that accompanied the Al-Yamamah deal will be exposed, along with the politicians - from Thatcher to Blair - who covered it up, because to do otherwise would have been "bad for business". You don't have to agree with everything Bin Laden says to see that he does have some valid points.

Quarmby, have you ever done business in an Arab country?

You play by the local rules or you dont do business, its as simple as that. All the hand wringing and trendy attitudes dont work, its a tough business world out there and the UK needs jobs.

You may think its fine to be a starving peasant on the moral high ground but try to sell that idea to the unemployed workers that are a result of that stance. I dont think you will get much support from them.

You are however entitled to your opinion, even if its wrong.

Edit: No more posts for three weeks, its airport time.

Yes PD you are right and all the troublemaking, do gooders whose whole intention is to attack Saudi will end up by costing thousands and thousands of British jobs and giving the contracts to the Americans or the French. Trouble is that few of them have ever been beyond the safer zones of the world or have real jobs producing and exporting real goods and services, so have no idea at all of the importance of these contracts not just to our economy but also to our standing in the Middle East.

They live in a world akin to a sect, cut off from reality.

[quote user="powerdesal"]One of my Engineers (an Indian) told me a news story today.............

Last week there was a meeting of the various Indian Muslim leaders. Following their deliberations they pronounced that private medical insurance was anti-Islamic because they considered it to be gambling - WHAT?????[8-)]

I was lost for words.
[/quote]

If misfortune befalls you it is the will of God. If you seek to thwart the will of God then you are breaking the rules of your religion. I have not much time for Faiths but if you believe the Koran represents the best reading of the word of God then it does hold together. You must have encountered the faith based arguments against insurance and interest on loans before before. Very little of India as opposed to Parkistan or Bangladesh can be described as Muslim.

woolybanana' brother, our policy in the Middle East is presently costing hundreds of British and thousands of American and Arab lives. But that's OK so long as BAE can continue to make profits. I have done business in a number of Arab countries and it is undeniable that our way of live has corrupted theirs. Our servicemen are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan to protect Western business interests. Saddam Hussein was a deeply unpleasant dictator, but both ourselves and the Americans are happy to do business every day with deeply unpleasant dictators. Saddam's mistake was to be a dictator who didn't do as we wanted.

Working where you do Steve I'm rather surprised that you are surprised [8-)]

The hypocrisy of the Muslim mentality is if you do take it as literally as is suggested then surely the very concept of man made law becomes anti-islamic because EVERYTHING is Gods will.

Having spend a good number of years working in Muslim countries the phrase Ins'hallah (Allah willing) is used as an adjunct to every wish or promise or offer and is the ultimate and oft used un-arguable cop out for failing to honour the commitment.

[quote]Iraq and Afghanistan to protect Western business interests[/quote]

Slight correction.

Mainly, the interests of  very few US oil majors, the Carlyle Group and the Bush family in conjunction with the Bin Laden family.

Someone needs to re-educate Dubya to pronounce "AMoral" instead of "Moral" as in "Amoral Cause".

[:P]

Archived