Complete France Forum

I just don't know what to think about this

powerdesal

This was sent to me from Sheffield Hallam University a couple of years ago.

[IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/twinm/exam.jpg[/IMG]

I suppose it's more of a classic exam 'howler' than the one cited in the link, but it doesn't look as though the student was given any mark for his/her answer. I never had to mark any Stats papers, but I would have been tempted to give this a point. Just one, for the hilarity, you understand.[:)]

I remember someone at school (early 60s) who got 100% for maths but they deducted 7 marks for untidyness......

To answer Steve's posting, I don't know why the candidate was given any marks - he failed to answer the question in any grammatical way.  He should have been given a zero.

Tress, I think that's brilliant.  The guy deserves full marks, imo, as he did indeed explain the shape of the graph which is precisely what he/she was asked to do.  Not their fault the question was badly worded![:D]

It's tough to know about these things.  A friend of mine's daughter got an A for GCSE English Literature and her mother thought she should have got and A* (whatever that may be).  As one is now allowed to do - she appealed.  The reason given for not awarding the star was that her spelling was poor (which it certainly is) but the mother won the case on the basis that the exam was about literature not grammar or spelling!  What are we coming to?  I know my own spelling is a long way from perfect but any examination with "English" in the title surely should require a reasonable standard of spelling to get top marks?

Still, I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy.

Years ago I applied for a job that was advertised in a national newspaper and which, I knew, would attract a lot of applicants.  When I received the application form I completed it (fairly) honestly but came to the final question "What is your ambition?".  I've filled in many of these as the employer would expect to see, e.g. "my ambition is to be a useful and efficient member of your firm, etc., etc., ... displaying loyalty to the company, years of service .... ".  Well, I was feeling a bit anarchic so wrote in the box: "to make enough money to retire early and go live in the sun" and despatched the form.

I got an interview and the boss asked me about my reply to that question.  I answered that I would achieve my ambition by working hard and being deserving of good money from the firm but, to be honest, my main ambition was to quit working as early as I could financially afford to do so..  "well at least you're honest" he said, and gave me the job!  So sometimes it pays to answer the question with an utterly honest response, a little like the student answering the question on the graph.

Archived