Complete France Forum

British driving test

Kitty

Help someone. I've searched and searched and can't find the answer. My daughter lives in France but is taking the UK driving test (her French is not good enough to take the French theory) so she only can take the theory and practical tests during school hols.

Is there a maximum time limit between the theory and practical tests?  E.g. if she takes and passes the theory during one school hol, can she take the practical during another hol a few months (or years later)?

Thanks Russet.  You can't book a practical test until you have passed the theory.

She's intending to do the theory during one hol and the practical during the next, bearing in mind all French school hols are only 10-14 days, except the summer one.  She didn't want to cause herself a problem by taking the theory and then being out of time for the practical.  I still can't find any reference anywhere to this limit, even though several people have told me that there is one.

I asked my daughter as both she and my son have used this system and she replied 'look on the web site' (clever clogs !) I couldn't see it ( It might be on form DL26/1) but I did find this :

Where you must live

You cannot take a test or get a full licence unless you are normally resident (live) in this country. This means you must work here (and pay tax) or have close family here. However, if you have moved to the UK from another European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) country, you should not take a driving test or get a first full licence unless you have lived here for 185 days in the last 12 months and are still living here at the time you apply for your licence. The test centre may ask you to provide evidence of this.

Hope that won't be a problem ?

Oh.  Thanks for that, RH.  I did not know that regulation.  Interesting.  It probably won't be a problem because she is leaving school soon and is intending to get a job back in the UK, hence needing the licence.

Well spotted.

In the meantime, I have been scouring the regulations with no success.  I have now posted the question on a UK driving forum to see what they come up with.

On the driving forum, the answers were that the certificate has a valid from date and an expiry date.  It is 2 years but no one can find this on the government website so I can't validate the info.

Anyway, I think that my daughter can go ahead and book the theory test in the knowledge that she will need to live in the UK and take the practical within 2 years.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Where you must live

You cannot take a test or get a full licence unless you are normally resident (live) in this country. This means you must work here (and pay tax) or have close family here. However, if you have moved to the UK from another European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) country, you should not take a driving test or get a first full licence unless you have lived here for 185 days in the last 12 months and are still living here at the time you apply for your licence. The test centre may ask you to provide evidence of this.

Hope that won't be a problem ?

[/quote]

That's interesting 'cos it doesn't work the other way round.  Our daughter had a 6 month placement in Martinique while at Uni, she took driving lessons and passed her test there.  Came home with a French licence.

Archived