Complete France Forum

Snoring

Iceni

Di complains that I snore. Despite the absence of corroboration (sp?) I purchased a pack of Breathe Right bandalettes nasales and applied one last night. Di says it works.

If someone has an idiot-proof, cheaper, alternative method please let me know. (Cutting my head off is not really the solution I seek despite fitting my criteria).

TIA

John

A one-time contributor to this forum, who was perhaps a little too anxious to provide the reality rather than the dream, markets a device claimed to prevent snoring - see here.

Seriously, this can be caused by a potentially serious condition, which is easily treated and controlled (but not by sprays or things you put in your mouth). Unfortunately recognition, and treatment, of this condition seems to vary considerably in France - as in Britain, where the 'postcode lottery' syndrome applies, though things seem to be improving. In some areas of France testing seems a routine matter for anybody experiencing poor sleep patterns, while in others nobody seems to have heard of it and there are certainly no clinics equipped to diagnose it.

Do ask your doctor about it. Information in French is available here, with associated pages dealing with diagnosis and treatment.

My husband has snored for years, but has got worse with age. He has used the snore nose strips over a period of time; they worked, but not continuously, and ended up costing a lot; we found they were cheaper in France. We bought some in a small town one summer, and when we went back to the pharmacy the next year, we were asked if we had gone in to buy more! I guess they didn't sell that many; I also had trouble sorting out the words for snore - tried siffler before ronfler!

He is much worse when on his back, so persuasion to turn over helps. He has been using 2 jars of essential oil in a sort of gel by the side of the bed for the last few months; marjoram and lavender. This has helped quite a lot, and gives a lovely scent. Unfortunately I have lost the web address, and need to find it to send for more, as the gel is hardening and gives off less aroma. They were from the UK, so presumably P & P to France would be high.

As Will says, sleep apnoea can be a very serious condition, usually, but not only suffered by people with a wide neck.

Jo

[quote user="ErnieY"]Why suddenly now John, is it a new phenomena ?

Not been overdoing it on the culinary and liquid delights have we [Www]

[/quote]

No, Ernie, it is not a new phenomenon (homework tonight is learning the difference between the singular and plural of Greek words [:P]) but up with the nagging I can no longer put.

John

[quote user="Iceni"]homework tonight is learning the difference between the singular and plural of Greek words [:P][/quote]Sorry if my lack of intimate knowledge of Greek offends, it's down to a combination of 'umble beginnings and a crummy secondary modren edukasun which ended at 15 anyway. I didn't do homework then and I'll be damned if I'm going to start doing it now [:P] [:D]

Ear plugs are definately the best way to go and are highly effective, if you get the right ones and learn, (or is that teach Di [;-)]) how to properly fit them. There is no discomfort and you (she) will very quickly become accustomed to the slightly strange feeling. If you were to wear them too you might not hear the nagging [:$]

I'm a very light sleeper and having spent many years bunked up in noisy locations, all too often with equally noisy (forced) companions, I have made it a habit to automatically wear them at night to the point where sleeping without them now feels unnatural.

Understandably, in my field of work, we know a little bit about ear protection and the earplug of choice is the Laser Lite of which I fortunately have access to unlimited supplies. If you care to PM me your postal address I'll ask 'er indoors to send you a few pairs to try out. They are disposable but even used nightly a pair will last in excess of 2 or 3 weeks and you can wash them too.

EDIT: Picture is not to scale [+o(]

[quote user="ErnieY"][
 the earplug of choice is the Laser Lite of which I fortunately have access to unlimited supplies. They are disposable but even used nightly a pair will last in excess of 2 or 3 weeks and you can wash them too.

[/quote]

Ernie - I am very interested in the Laser Lite earplug being the earplug of choice. By the look of it, I have already tried it and it was not my earplug of choice. I believe I have tested possibly every earplug known to man this and the other side of the Atlantic, and I am forever in search of the ultimate earplug. Although the foam types are more comfortable, I find they do not block out all the noises as much as the wax ones. Not the French "boules Quies" which are too small, but in my book, the most effective are Boots' own brand of wax earplugs.

But...I am still looking for the ultimate earplugs. If the Laser Lite is available commercially, then it is definitely one I have tried and discarded.

The best test I know, about earplug effectiveness, is to clap your hands loudly. My goal is to find earplugs with which I could hear absolutely nothing when I clap my hands.[:D]

[quote user="5-element"]I believe I have tested possibly every earplug known to man this and the other side of the Atlantic[/quote]If so then you have the better of me sir [:)]

I don't know if the The Laser Lite is available retail as we buy ours from the wholesaler of course.

Considering the quantity of these we get through on a daily basis, dirty hands or gloves means that they are disposed of after a single use, their position as earplug of choice is based both on performance and cost but having personally tried out a goodly number of different types over many years with a paper spec of 35dB SNR, and in practice, they are, IMO certainly 'up there' with the best.

Have a look on www.howardleight.com

Short of profound deafness I fear your goal of an earplug to pass your clap test is unachievable [:(]

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="5-element"]I believe I have tested possibly every earplug known to man this and the other side of the Atlantic[/quote]If so then you have the better of me sir [:)]

I don't know if the The Laser Lite is available retail as we buy ours from the wholesaler of course.

Considering the quantity of these we get through on a daily basis, dirty hands or gloves means that they are disposed of after a single use, their position as earplug of choice is based both on performance and cost but having personally tried out a goodly number of different types over many years with a paper spec of 35dB SNR, and in practice, they are, IMO certainly 'up there' with the best.

Have a look on www.howardleight.com

Short of profound deafness I fear your goal of an earplug to pass your clap test is unachievable [:(]

[/quote]

Thank you Ernie, I have just had a look at the site, you are right, it's unlikely that I have ever tried those, as they seem to e only available industrially - it's just that there are imitations sold in some shops here, just that pink and yellow fluo colour fooled me. I haven't found the Laser Lite yet on that site, so far only the Bilsom 303[:)] (sounds like a plane). I would love to try those though, and see how they do with the clap test.[:D]But I would have to find out how to get them. I take your point about my impossible goal....

Woodybalaclava - I thought it would be polite, just that once, to bury my feminist flag and use the term of "man" when I mean "mankind". Just a little slip.[:P]

On their site click Hearing Protection Selector then on the next page Hearing Protection Selector again then click Don't Limit Results - Earplugs and under the thumbnail Select All then finally Compare.

You now have a sideways scrollable window of  the whole product line with their specifications.

If you PM me an address I'll send you some.

Sounds a bit extreme but it would be cheaper than these nasal strips.

Earplugs - thanks for the offer Ern but Di claims to have sensitive ears (too much of her own nagging ?) and cannot/will not use in-ear devices. So my idea of a can of mousse fell on stony ground.

John

Archived