Complete France Forum

Whatever happened to....

Kitty

There were two old BBC series that hold very fond memories for purely personal reasons.

One was one of the Sunday evening 'business' drama series, like Onedin, Brothers etc - namely Howards' Way (and, fellow pedants, that is where the BBC put the apostrophe). The other was the sitcom Ever Decreasing Circles.

I recently managed to get several series of the Onedin Line on DVD.  Not all of them are currently on sale in the UK.  However,   the BBC sold the series to Holland and the DVDs are with Dutch subtitles.  Just toggle the subtitles off, and Bob's your uncle!

Recently there was a programme about The Brothers on one of the digital channels.  It brought back a lot of memories!  I used to like Howards' Way, too.

Should I be worried?[8-)]

[quote user="Cathy"]

What were the story lines on the Onedin Line?  It's the opening music that endures for me.

What can happen on a boat?  (I speak as someone who sails on the high seas.

[/quote]

Basically it is all about business - how a struggling captain gets a wife with a sailing ship and builds up a thriving shipping business.  It encompasses the arrival of steam ships etc.  Along side are a number of "human interest" stories.

I loved it and find it has stood the test of time well.  Still, I have always been a sucker for sailing ships.  The opening sequence of the series always makes shivers down my spine.[8-|]

Archived