Complete France Forum

Sneaky..........Secret changes.

Bugsy

So the day is drawing nearer when I will be able to go to the supermarket to do my shopping carrying one of those swanky attaché cases  like James Bond's with bank notes arranged in rolls inside and a dinky little security chain and padlock to attach it to my wrist?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

So the day is drawing nearer when I will be able to go to the supermarket to do my shopping carrying one of those swanky attaché cases  like James Bond's with bank notes arranged in rolls inside and a dinky little security chain and padlock to attach it to my wrist?

[/quote]

Sweet, no one does bank notes in rolls any more, that is soooooo old fashioned. You need them in slabs, with a posh bank wrapper round each slab, from someone like Coutts perhaps.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Wakey, wakey, Steve!

OK, bank notes all put into stacks of dosh and placed in rows in a case, spanking new with bands around the stacks so that you can count them more easily?

I wish..............

[/quote]

Thats better Sweet, now I am understanding. (thats a non-PC comment by the way, only certain ex expats will really understand) [:)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]Look, you guys just winding me up or what?  What have I said????????[geek][/quote]

There was nothing 'non-PC' about your comments Sweet, it was my ...'I am now understanding'... comment that could be perceived as non-PC as its related to how our brethren (here) from the Indian sub-continent are heard. As in ' Oh yes Sir, I am now understanding Sir' when something has been explained to them ( for the 'nth' time )

Generally, only an expat with experience in this part of the World (or the sub-continent) would understand my reference.

Yes, Steve, I have noticed that Indians from the sub continent seem to like using the Present Continuous instead of straightforward Present Simple.

Eg, they'll say something like, "Yes, I am wanting to..........." when they could simply say "Yes, I want to..."

It does sound funny.  Just listen to an Indian cricketer being interviewed and you're laughing so much, you forget how good their game is.  Also, of course, they do get on with each other in the team![:D]

Ah Sweets but it avoids conjugation, rather like saying "I am going + verb infinitive" in French a usefull cheat eg; "je vais aller" to avoid conjugating in the future tense.

I like the Belgium and Dutch cheat  of conjugating the past, "I did go", " he did say to me" etc etc.

"I am very much wanting to use cheats like this in French but very much not knowing how to" [6]

Innit!

You dont need a wheelbarrow for your cash, you just need bigger cash!

Zimbabwe banks are now printing 100, 50, 20 and 10 trillion dollar notes!

If my maths is right, 1 million Z$ is about 0,05€ so a trillion still isnt a huge amount, and is probably devaluing faster than I can type this.

Lets hope things dont get that bad.

Archived