Complete France Forum

politicians still fiddling while Rome burns

just john

Allegedly not, I couldn't possibly comment on what the rules are; however there are ethics and two unwritten codes of Office (one says milk what you can and the other says not) but I have never paid thousands to stay 9 miles away from my home (yet[8-|])

Radio 4 report 1st thing this morning on the expenses "culture " ..It appears that MP's are advised that this cash is there for the claiming and if they dont claim it ... its pointed out to them that they have not done so and to get the claim in !..Also there was some suggestion that a pay rise would not be well accepted by votors so the allowance claiming was a way round this .

Civil Service .The 10 days uncertificated sick days  permitted were accepted by many as an entitlement to be taken even if as fit as a  butchers dog at the end of the financial year advised  ..".call in sick or we might lose them ."      I can hear it now in the corridors of Westminster   " There is a group of MP's going to the Red Sea  sir .... To see if the warm water is hurting the coral ...you can swim sir ... fancy going ? " 

This McNulty business is a piece of indefensible nonsense, which doubtless offends all of us.

In any of the organisations in which most, if not all of us ever worked, there were clear rules over expenses and allowances (the latter always an iffy area, which I always sought to minimise / eradicate). Digression from the rules was gross misconduct = dismissal.

This lark has been going on for years with many MEP's (to be fair, not all).  Now we learn that 'domestic' MP's have also been at it big time, and there'll undoubtedly be more revelations to come. This particular individual doesn't appear to be denying the dodginess of what he's been doing. He should be ashamed of himself.

Westminster solution?  An enquiry / review to report back in a year or two.

I simply cannot comprehend the inability of MP's to read the mood of the people over the need for immediate reform.  Any organisation that I ever worked for, would have instituted a 'reframe the rules and implement them within 10 days' directive.  Enough said: blood pressure rising.

When I first started visiting  Europe as a young adult in the late 60's I was quite proud to compare the standards of honesty of public servants in the UK with other countries. Now however, I realise they have slipped to the same level of trough with noses in addiction as all the other Europeans. And I feel disgusted.

But then I havent been there for a long time so it must just be a stupid residual bit of respect that needs to be washed away. Augean stables spring to mind.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

When I first started visiting  Europe as a young adult in the late 60's I was quite proud to compare the standards of honesty of public servants in the UK with other countries. Now however, I realise they have slipped to the same level of trough with noses in addiction as all the other Europeans. And I feel disgusted.

But then I havent been there for a long time so it must just be a stupid residual bit of respect that needs to be washed away. Augean stables spring to mind.

[/quote]

Yes, but where is Hercules?

.telegraph. /Tony-McNultys-expenses-will-be-investigated-by-Parliaments-standards-watchdog.

So that's another 12-month plus whitewash to be diluted until The labour party are drummed out of office, assuming they don't wriggle around that one,

How come Hannan doesn't seem to have been noticed by the Beeb yet?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/Daniel_Hannan

Incidently I might mention this politician bashing is based on my interest in my future in France and how this Government has impacted on it. It does bother me that they are focussed on other spins[:@]

Archived