Complete France Forum

Formula for calulating VAT at new rate anyone?

Jacqui      Too

I'm sitting here doing the dreaded VAT and I have several bills that are just total paid with no breakdown of VAT content.

I was OK with 17.5% as I had the formula X7 then / by 47 and that gave me the vat content, but now it is 15% I am temporarily flummoxed[blink]

Can some kind person put me out of my dilemma and give me the formula (which was given in the VAT notes when the change over happened, but now mislaid)

Thank you

Divide the full amount by 100, plus whatever percentage the VAT is - thus you get 115 in this case.  To find the VAT element, multiply the result by 15 (or whatever percentage the rate is) - or 100 for the non-VAT bit. 

EDIT:There probably is a formula but with this method you can adjust it if the rate changes again.  But then I'm not the most numerate person about so I've no doubt a maths whizz will have a better answer.

2nd Edit : See, somebody has![:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Divide the full amount by 100, plus whatever percentage the VAT is - thus you get 115 in this case.  To find the VAT element, multiply the result by 15 - or 100 for the non-VAT bit.[/quote]

OK I will try that and be back later with a thank you[:)]

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Divide the full amount by 100, plus whatever percentage the VAT is - thus you get 115 in this case.  To find the VAT element, multiply the result by 15 - or 100 for the non-VAT bit.[/quote]

OK I will try that and be back later with a thank you[:)]

[/quote]

[:$]I have tried several times and I keep being 12p out on the vat!!

Right, The total is £ 1,297.55, I divided that by 115 and I get 11.29 multiply that by 15 and I get £169.35 (VAT)

so to see if that is right I subtracted that (169.35) from total (1,297.55) and I get £1,128.20 (goods before Vat)

Then I have all the 3 figure I need, but they are 12p out!! £1,128.20+ vat is = £1,297.43 (12p out) Ahhhhgggrraahhh

What am I doing wrong?[:'(]

What am I doing wrong?[:'(]

[/quote]Following my advice, I expect!  I should try what the others suggest and see if that works better.  But I can't see why it doesn't add up because if you divide by 115 then you have 100 x 115ths and 15 x 115ths so it must add up to 115 115ths, if you get my drift!  But I'm not too good at explaining myself as I'm not much of a teacher. 

Edit : Glad the others are better at this than me and you got there, which is all that matters.[:)]

[quote user="Devon"]I just divide the total figure by 7.666 to get the 15% VAT[/quote]

Thanks Devon

Your formula worked to within 1p and thats good enough for me.[:)]

Thank you every one for spending time to help a mathematical dunce!

[/quote]

The larger the figure you need the VAT on, the more decimal places you need for the 6. For example, if you want the VAT in £11,500.00 divide by 7.66666

[quote user="Devon"][quote user="Jacqui Too "]

[quote user="Devon"]I just divide the total figure by 7.666 to get the 15% VAT[/quote]

Thanks Devon

Your formula worked to within 1p and thats good enough for me.[:)]

Thank you every one for spending time to help a mathematical dunce!

[/quote]

The larger the figure you need the VAT on' the more decimal places you need for the 6. For example, if you want the VAT in £11,500.00 divide by 7.66666

[/quote]

Thanks thats just the formula I needed and have written it down on the front of my VAT folder.[geek]

See when in a pickle I know were to come[:)]

This forum is sooo helpful

To find the VAT element in a total amount of the facture you do :

Total amount of facture divided by 1.196 if the VAT is at 19.6% or 1.150 if at 15% or 1.055% if VAT at 5.5%

What ever the result of this will be the net amount of the facture, then multiply this net amount by 0.196 (19.6%) or 0.115 (15%) or 0.055 (5%) which will show the actual VAT amount.

Archived