Complete France Forum

Why don't the Scammers/Spammers Love Me?

cooperlola

I have never had a scam e-mail from my bank, nor have I ever been asked to launder money for some person in a country I have never been to.  I get, on average, about 5 spam e-mails a week.  My o/h on the other hand, gets - he tells me - around a hundred unwanted mails a day.  Why do they seem to love him but hate me?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you use the same email provider ?

Unfortunately just one single inadvertent or incautious revealing of an email address, such as in a forum for instance, can be enough to get you on the spammers list. If you (he) has ever posted his address in it's proper format i.e. mrcoops@france.com etc. then the spam bots' will eventually find it.

One thing which is absolutely guaranteed to get you even more spam is to use the opt out you often see in spam messages. All that will do is confirm that they have touched a live address which will hugely enhance it's value and promote it to the premium list and hence generate mountains more.

You might think that spam is useless and a complete waste of time and why do the spammers bother however there is an in depth article on spam in this months PCPlus magazine where they say that:

80% of spam is generated by botnet's - zombie PC's infected with a trojan which harvest email addresses from the owners contacts - (are YOU 100% sure you'rs isn't one [Www])

According to a recent survey 12% of spam email recipients have actually bought something as a result of a spam email.

The same survey revealed that about half had clicked links in spam emails or responded to them just as they would have to a legitimate message.

Needless to say said survey took place in the good old US of A [Www]

Either I have rceived my first ever spam e-mail or I will soon be very rich, Which of the two do you think it might be [;-)]

Either way its a celebration day for me! [:D]

OFFICE OF THE SENATE HOUSE
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN PAYMENT
(RESOLUTION PANEL ON CONTRACT PAYMENT)
IKOYI-LAGOS NIGERIA

Our Ref: FGN /SNT/STB
Your Ref

This is to officially inform you that (ATM Card Number 5951390123652671)
has
been accredited with your favor.Your Personal Identification Number is
822.The ATM Card Value is 6.8MILLIONUSD. You are advised to contact:

MRS. KATHY SASSI.
Email: accreditedatmcenter@yahoo.com.hk

with the following information's

FULL NAME:
DELIVERY ADDRESS
PHONE NUMBER:
SEX:
KINDEST REGARDS,

(SEN). DAVID MARK .