Complete France Forum

Did you know... Punic Apples...

Dog

Did you know that Punic Apples otherwise known as Pomegranates are the forbidden fruit of the garden of Eden and more strangely that they each have exactly 840 seeds.

I only know this as I was searching for a recipe to use up the big box of heavily ripe and exploding pomegranates my 90 year old neighbour just gave me. I still had ten from the other week.

You lucky dog, Dog!  Pomegranates are supposed to be the superfood of the moment with all sorts of anti-oxidants and what have you.

I just think ripe, juicy ones are wonderful and the seeds look so pretty, like little red gems.

All I know about them is that Katharine of Aragon had them as her "symbol" and that pomegranates symbolise fertility.  Poor woman only had one daughter, Mary, who survived to adulthood.  And she, of course, famously was divorced by Henry the Eighth and led a sad life thereafter.

I did wonder whether they'd grow here in the Charente but I wouldn't know where to get a tree.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

You lucky dog, Dog!  Pomegranates are supposed to be the superfood of the moment with all sorts of anti-oxidants and what have you.

I just think ripe, juicy ones are wonderful and the seeds look so pretty, like little red gems.

All I know about them is that Katharine of Aragon had them as her "symbol" and that pomegranates symbolise fertility.  Poor woman only had one daughter, Mary, who survived to adulthood.  And she, of course, famously was divorced by Henry the Eighth and led a sad life thereafter.

I did wonder whether they'd grow here in the Charente but I wouldn't know where to get a tree.

[/quote]

From Trees-R-Us [;-)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

I  certainly am - have you seen the price of pomegranate juice?

I can send you some seeds if you want - they grow well here in 24.

There are other fertility rites involving pomegranates - arab women throw them at the floor - when they split and the seeds spill out the number of seeds indicates the number of children they will have.

IIRC, pomegranates are also the reason we have winter.  Or rather, when Hades abducted Persephone to the Underworld she was tempted to suck on some pomegranate seeds (she was there for quite a while and was very hungry).  This was before Hermes (or possibly Hecate) rescued her and returned her to her mother, Demeter.  Demeter is Goddess of the Earth, she'd got a bit depressed during Persephone's absence and stopped producing food.  When Persephone came home all was good again, for a bit, until Hades reminded her about the pomegranate seeds.  These put her in Hades' debt and meant that, for all time, she would have to return to the Underworld for a few months each year to be his consort.  Every year, the pomegranates ripen to remind Persephone it's time to go and Demeter responds by ending our summer.[:(]

Good stuff ehh!

When Persephone was held captive in Hades, the Greek goddess of spring and fruit swore she would not partake of food until her release.

But she couldn't resist the tempting pomegranate, ceating nearly the entire fruit before stopping herself and leaving only six seeds uneaten.

From this story people think our yearly cycle of six months of growth and harvest followed by six months of winter is derived.

There is so much lore surrounding this wonderful fruit.

Perhaps next we will find Odin fed his goats pomegranates.

Yup the French named their explosive device the grenade after the grenadine.

Today I asked wifelet if I could juice the pomegranates after a 10 minute lecture about not making a mess in the kitchen and being told not to use every implement and to clear up after myself and not flood the floor and where I was to store the juice and and and.....

It was all going well breaking the pomegranates up in the kitchen bowl with the pithy bits floating to the surface - just as wifelet came in for an inspection a rather large and juicy pomegranate had a liquid explosion and blasted juice high up above the sink where it is untiled and even pebble dashed the frigidair with bright carmine spots. OOPSSS I managed to calm her down by promising to go christmmas shopping this afternoon and further agreeing to a haircut etc etc.

I took the pithy bits out of the bowl and drained the water and then bunged them in the food jizzer-upper on pulse and hey presto a bit of a leak but unnoticed by the boss. The blades knocked the outer sacs off the grains but didn't break the grains - bingo!

Two litres of pomegranate juice and a slightly stained wall.... bonus....

Sounds fabuloso, except for the bit about christmas shopping.  This has been banned in my domain for many years.  Still, it gave me a pleasurable frisson of schadenfreude to hear of someone else undergoing such a trial.  Thank you Dog for brightening my evening...[:D][;-)]

[quote user="buelligan"]Yes Dog, you may.  And, No Dog, I am certainly not for I am not male and I am heterosexual (making the role of wifelet slightly supernumerary in my home).[:D][/quote]

You are a rare rose and sound just like my third wife - I do like alpha females.

Archived