Complete France Forum

Gordon Brown's apology

Weedon

Gordon Brown is planning an apology to those children left to be raised in the UK instead of being offered the chance of living in a far nicer country, somewhere sunny.
Under the Child Migrants Programme - which ended just 40 years ago - many children were rejected and left to face a life of dreary weather, miserable citizens and truly terrible national sports teams.

59 year old Gerry Owen is one of the unfortunate children of the fifties left behind in the
UK , and he said, “I was born in 1950, and in 1959 my application to go ‘absolutely anywhere else at all’ was rejected out of hand. Since then, I’ve been subjected to a miserable existence on these Isles, consisting mainly of drizzling grey monotony interspersed with abject disappointment after stunningly predictable abject disappointment. It’s all the Government’s fault, and I still blame them for not sending me somewhere much, much nicer all those years ago.”
“The irony is, I’m a borderline alcoholic who genuinely loves cricket and utterly despises football, I’d have made a brilliant Australian.”

Apology

The Prime Minister is planning to formally apologise to the lost generation of approximately 20 million post-war children who have been forced to endure a life in modern
Britain instead of perpetual summers, surfing and barbecues.
“We can only apologise for the mistakes of the past,” said Brown. “I realise that due to these past human rights infringements, there are literally millions of Britons who have absolutely no idea that a dip in the sea shouldn’t always be at the risk of rapid onset hypothermia.
Or that a sickly pallor reminiscent of a Chernobyl victim isn’t actually a pre-existing genetic disposition, but simply a product of being left behind to grow up in Huddersfield . Still, I’m sure they’ll feel much better once I’ve said sorry in this nice open letter I’ve spent the morning scribbling.”

In 1958 I had the choice of  Australia, Canada and South Africa.

Fortunately with South Africa I had a firm job offer and spent many happy years with Braaivleises, Red Malmsey, Lion Lager and lots of sunshine.

In retrospect, I look back with relief that I didn't choose the Australian Option, so avoiding a life of slave labour in the daytime and sexual abuse in the night.

Is it just me?  I cannot for the life of me understand why they should have to say sorry for (a) something they didn't do (they weren't in charge them surely?) and (b) for something which would always have had a limit to the numbers chosen.

It's like making all those employers who did not employ me, having given me the favour of an interview, say sorry for not employing me!!!

I'm not quite sure what you mean Judith.  As far as I understand it, his apology is pretty worthless but it is the best, cheap, effort that can be made given the time that has passed. Perhaps you have been misled by the wags posting above?  If so, read 'em and weep as they say... [url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8361025.stm[/url] [url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/15/apology-child-migrants-gordon-brown[/url]

Anyone doubting the physical, mental and emotional hardship suffered by the children and their families should read Margaret Humpheys' book Empty cradles.

I found it a harrowing read.

As a result of discovering the circumstances and consequences of the child migration schemes, she created The Child Migrants Trust, dedicated to reuniting migrant children with their families.

I don't think the apology is "pretty worthless" for those concerned and thats who count. Its not really to do with the GB but the British Government and its policy at that time. What it says to those who were sent that the policy was wrong and the government is sorry.

What I think is wrong is that GB would not have bothered if it had not been for the Australian Government apologising and the amount of publicity it caused, like being on the telly around the world. Another prime example of GB being lead rather than leading.

I also think the original post was in bad taste having seen the documentry and read the book Clair has already mentioned but thats just me.

Quillan wrote;[quote]I don't think the apology is "pretty worthless" for those concerned and thats who count.[/quote]

Which is probably why I wrote earlier; [quote]As far as I understand it, his apology is pretty worthless but it is the best, cheap, effort that can be made given the time that has passed.[/quote]Quoting people out of context is hardly fair is it?

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Fortunately with South Africa I had a firm job offer and spent many happy years with Braaivleises, Red Malmsey, Lion Lager and lots of sunshine.

In retrospect, I look back with relief that I didn't choose the Australian Option, so avoiding a life of slave labour in the daytime and sexual abuse in the night.

[/quote] Lucky you. It took a 500 page document and hours of work for me to emigrate to Australia 11 years ago, and that was through the back door too, I bucked the system. And I have to say how disappointed I was to discover no slave labour during the day and only minimal sexual abuse at night! Knew I should have come to France instead.

[quote user="buelligan"]

Quillan wrote;[quote]I don't think the apology is "pretty worthless" for those concerned and thats who count.[/quote]

Which is probably why I wrote earlier; [quote]As far as I understand it, his apology is pretty worthless but it is the best, cheap, effort that can be made given the time that has passed.[/quote]Quoting people out of context is hardly fair is it?

[/quote]

No, I read as I did but if you think I misread it then I am sorry. I don't think those concerned would see it that way but as there are probably none on this forum I doubt we will ever know.

[quote user="Richard"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote] Lucky you. It took a 500 page document and hours of work for me to emigrate to Australia 11 years ago, and that was through the back door too, I bucked the system. And I have to say how disappointed I was to discover no slave labour during the day and only minimal sexual abuse at night! Knew I should have come to France instead.[/quote]

Glad to hear that the slave labour/sexual abuse regime had been eliminated by 1998.

Oh! I forgot to mention that I learnt to adore the gastronomic delights of Boerewörs and Biltong as well. 

[quote user="Richard"]He needs to find his twin and enter X factor.[/quote]

But even that won't stop him being thrown out......... eventually.[:D] Mind you there wouldn't be any criteria for joining like being able to sing or anything although thinking about it being a liar might have an advantage. [;-)]

[quote user="buelligan"]I'm not quite sure what you mean Judith.  As far as I understand it, his apology is pretty worthless but it is the best, cheap, effort that can be made given the time that has passed. Perhaps you have been misled by the wags posting above?  If so, read 'em and weep as they say... [url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8361025.stm[/url] [url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/15/apology-child-migrants-gordon-brown[/url][/quote]

Thank you for the link, I had not known what the story was about, only the information given in the post itself, and whilst I accept that what previous politicians did was probably not correct, I still do think it is not up to today's politicians to apologise  for the mistakes of their predecessors.  This is not the only story I have thought this about, but cannot bring any to mind at the mo.  Whether the story quoted by Weedon is correct or not, it still seems strange to me for people to compain that they were not sent .....  especially as it looks as though they might have been better off that they did not go.

But I think I do not see eye to eye on this one with many on the forum, so I'll take my bat home and go and get the meal ready.

Quillan wrote; [quote] I don't think those concerned would see it that way but as there are probably none on this forum  I doubt we will ever know.[/quote]

You're probably right Quillan but I do have a cousin married to a woman affected by this; [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations[/url].  She was not exactly entranced with the apology received from the Australian PM but that probably had a bit to do with the debate(s) leading up to it I imagine.

Archived