Complete France Forum

I, too, would like to cut waste and save the planet

mint

When you get to a certain age (like mine), you remember a time when things are oh so different.

We know all about our throwaway society but, much as I'd like to buck the trend, I find that I am increasingly drawn into behaving as though throwing away instead of repairing is the way to go.

OH took some scissors to be sharpened and it cost 10 euros and weren't particularly sharp when they came back.

Today, I bought 4 pairs of scissors (different sizes and for different purposes) packed in the usual inaccessible plastic-moulded packaging.  They are guaranteed for 3 years and have beautifully moulded handles and stainless steel blades.

The cost?  2€ 79 from Lidl.  No contest, is it? [:(]

Long gone are the days of the knife sharpening chap coming down your street to sharpen knifes, scissors and your garden shears. Enter the little electric, sharpen anything machine, that sits in your kitchen draw. Combined with my expensive 25 Euros grinder I bought from Brico Depot for the garden shears and the annual lawn mower blade sharpening I don't think I have taken anything to get sharpened for years. I also remember a time when you took your saw to have the teeth reset and sharpened but at 10 Euros for a new one it's hardly worth the effort. The only thing I now have that I get sharpened once a year is the chain from my chainsaw.

Go on treat yourself to one of THESE only 35 Euros does knifes and scissors.

Q, I do have one of those or something similar.  But, that's for ordinary knives and things.  Mine cost in excess of £40 years and years ago.

But, the point I am making is that replacing is so cheap and simple that it doesn't make sense to repair and that the world has gone crazy.

Just make sure you keep the packaging, receipt and copy the till receipt as they fade and disappear.

Fact is most people just do not bother to take things back when they break or go wrong - too much aggro.

We found that powertools from Brico Depot are great -  you use them on a project for 3 or maybe 6 months and when they break they never have the same or we refuse it as the previous broke and they repay cash.

It's cheaper than hiring.

I cannot abide tools which do not function properly!

Most cheap scissors don't function properly.

I have amongst many tools, a pair of Carpet Shears (big giant scissors!) I have possessed and used now for over 30 years.

Lots of money when purchased: however one pays for the steel quality and the forged blades. And additionally, that instead of having a moulded "Screw" holding the two blades together (Like the old cheap Jap "Ronson" lighters!),  these have a real screw: which needs to removed for sharpening. Which is always and only on an oilstone. Grinding wheels heat the blade and destroy the correct degree of temper and hardening.

Takes minutes: however, the critical bit comes after sharpening; and this is bending the blades, marginally in order that the cutting edges glide over each other when closing.

It's the same with garden shears: sharpen on an oilstone; and afterwards, adjust until the blades kiss lightly on closing: if you listen, you can hear the blades "Singing" as they touch and close: all the way up! Not just here and there.

Archived