Complete France Forum

Today mephedrone, tomorrow ?

Iceni

So a couple of stupid children have snorted plant food and died - let's just hope they hadn't started breeding. And now the meedja are demanding that it is legal and kills so it should be banned. By the same token let's take away alcohol, tobacco and cars.

The morons of this world will always find new ways of killing themselves but don't punish the sensible majority.

John

Darwinian natural selection in progress, John?

[Www]

Whilst I do enjoy some sympathy with your core ethos, the problem, surely, is that kids today more than ever are subjected to that very media influence and heavy peer pressure.

Let's face it, we all did stupid things before we matured sufficiently to develop discernment: well, hopefully most of us did!

Additionally, there is the On-Cost to society: not only health but aberrant behaviour as a direct result of the ingestion of mood-altering chemicals.

Trouble today it seems, is that we cannot expect parents to enjoy significant influence and supervisory ability with their offspring.

I heard one of the mothers of the kids who killed themselves interviewed on radio yesterday: and she stated that "If we (i.e. herself and presumably partner/spouse) had hav realised the drug "Was dangerous", then we would have advised our son differently!"

Thus sadly it seems the woman was "Cool" to her son's drugs habits and not at all phased by them: rather than educating him to not to use chemical compounds at all!

And it is this very complacency such as "Well, all his age group do this!", that creates the need for the state to intervene, IMHO.

I am no fan at all of state intervention either, normally; however as society degrades evermore rapidly, I believe the state, inevitably, ought to enjoy some rôle in protecting kids from themselves: and the increasingly laissez faire indifference and incompetence of their parents.

Next is the drug Proffesor Nutt is working on. There was more than a slight conflict of interest when a man that is supposed to be giving the government advice on which drugs should be banned is planning his own designer drugs.

Archived