Complete France Forum

Moneybookers

Frenchie

Has anyone ever used Moneybookers.com ?

I'm selling a TV on le bon coin and someone, French, wants to buy it from me but he's in Africa. he says he will pay everything including the  fees , but it sounds like an arnaque to me .......

He says with moneybookers he couldn't get the parcel until we get the money.

I don't believe it, am I wrong?

A scam. 

Ask youself this question, is your TV such a bargain that it is worth the buyer paying to have it shipped to North Africa?

And to help you to answer that,  bear in mind that France is one of the most expensive countries for consumer goods.

Sounds just like the old Western Union scam to me.

Tell him to pay you via PayPal and that you don't have to have an account with them to send money. If genuine, which is highly unlikely, then there's no problem, if its a scam you won't hear anymore from him or alternatively he will give you some old cock-and-bull story about changing his mind.

If you don't know what the Western Union scam is its basically that he will send you a bankers cheque or similar for more money than you asked for or alternatively cancel. He will then ask for the money back paid via Western Union (or similar) where he can just go in and get the money at his end. A few days later you will get a letter saying the payment he made you has 'bounced'. When you tell Western Union and ask for your money back they will refer you to their Terms and Conditions and tell you tough luck.

Agree it sounds like a scam; How is he supposed to get the TV to Africa?

Moneybookers is a currency exchange company. You open an account with them, transfer funds to the account, and they convert it to the currency of your choice to pay into an account in another country. We use them when bringing money over from UK to France.

Give them a wide berth Frenchie, tis a scam for sure and I don't believe you can have a Money Bookers account without a UK address (Money laundering regulations) and Africa Non!

Money Bookers are good and under the FSA (regulator) so if you have any doubts I would email Money bookers and report.

[quote user="Clair"]I have a Moneybookers account and I have had no problem with it.
I use it primarily for UK-based paying visitors, as it makes it very easy to transfer £ into €.
[/quote]

It's not Moneybookers thats the real problem, I am sure, like Western Union, they are a reputable company its they way these scammers use them.

Archived