Complete France Forum

mineral turpentine

woolybanana

Gum Turpentine distilled is called térébenthine: widely available from even Supermarchés !

Mineral Turps (As T states) is otherwise Turps Substitute (Sub): and is distilled from oil and is a by-product. Same family as Kerosene.

White Spirit (Which is similar) is somewhat lighter since it's distillation and fractionating temperature is slightly higher: the two are often confused. Interchangeable if you are cleaning paint brushes, but not for certain tasks such as thinning oil-bound paints.

Distilled Gum Turpentine is used in many natural processes: esential for artists painting in oils and making a number of useful things: I use this for making a furniture cleaner to remove old polish and grime: beloved by antique dealers! Which is where I first learned about it.

Recipe:

Turpentine                  3 parts

Linseed Oil (Boiled)   3 Parts

Vinegar                      2 parts

Combine in a suitable bottle and shake vigorously before use and whilst using.

(this recipe comes from John Fitzmaurice Mills hugely useful small book, Collecting and Looking After Antiques.)

Amazon:

Woolly: that cleaner will not damage the underlying finish: it simply dissolves the accumulation of wax and grime and leaves the surface clean and imparts a nice dull sheen: can then be waxed or oiled.

We used to use it all the time in Mrs Gluey's shop, hence it smelled of secondhand Fish 'N chips and Linseed! [:D]

Actually it doesn't: it mainly smells of Linseed.

We use it in France on such as these, before waxing with traditional beeswax polish.

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/France/PicturesHouseFrance0001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/France/PicturesHouseFrance0006.jpg[/IMG]

Very nice Gluey, but that furniture is European, probably Belgian, isn't it? If so, you got it at a knockdown price I suspect as not many folks want it now. Maybe the Tongres antique market?

My project is to start with a small table and work upwards to the dresser. Stinkwood has to be rubbed down with wirewool as I am sure you know, and also rubbed down with the turps to get rid of the oil residues - it has never been wax polished nor should it be

All purchased together with the house in la belle, Woolly: the elderly French vendor and his late wife had been collecting for many years and had nice taste: other than in wallpaper!

[:)]

In the UK our is all mainly Victorian.

Stinkwood is African I recall: used to make tables and also for floors??

Archived