Complete France Forum

Energy use monitors

woolybanana

Does anyone use an energy use monitor meter type thing to check out their electricity use? If so, what kind is it and where did you get it? It is time that Bananaland started doing some checks and we were wondering what is best to use, preferably though something that does not require a UK type socket.

If you have a modern meter you may be able to use that to check the consumption of each and every electrical appliance including those hard wired, the plug in monitors obviously only work when something is plugged in to them.

I have fallen into one of my own bête noires, using the word obvious, like so many muppet talking heads on the telly, if its obvious either one doesnt need to say it or is patronising the audience.

You need the exercise [:)]

I dont know why but I had thought that you had moved into a town house not a chateau!

You can get some that have an annular inductive ring that you slip around the incoming mains supply cable, not to be confused with those trucs that are delivered in a plain brown packaging [6]

I have a couple (of the former) kicking around somewhere, they are French made so if you want I can dig them out for the details, they are more pro than the bricolage ones, are din rail mounted  and are intended for use as a landlords sub meter, they have an HP/HC input terminal so can record both but also what you want, instantaneous consumption

We have an energy use monitor which was supplied free of charge by our electricity supplier.

We had to fix a gizmo on to the meter and then plug the device into an ordinary socket.

We had to programme in our price per unit (you can do two).

You programme in what your requirements are - for example ours tells me that we have spent £1.24 so far today. You can ask it for yesterday, the last seven days and the last thirty days.

It shows how many kws you are using at the moment and we checked individual appliances by turning them on and off and noting the differences.

Hoddy

Archived