Complete France Forum

Climate change threatens all of us

Iceni

I used to live around there and nearly bought an investment property in Ipswich (the one next to Brisbane).

I also owned a themed restaurant there, which had a history of the region and the wife and I had done a lot of research into a flood that hit Brisbane in 1893. It was twice as high as this one, so the measures they put in place since then have worked.

It's part of the mythical el nino effect I think. Tend to have 8 or 9 years of drought and then one year with lots of rain.

I moved out to Queensland in one of the rain years, in the summer of 1999 just after Christmas. Was so annoyed to see rain after living in England, but then after a few years of drought living, I became happy to see rain again. But not like this.

My uncle told this story    "After a long drought  we were sitting outside the pub when a big black cloud was seen on the horizon .. We all watched this cloud and it slowly moved towards town.. When it was over the town there was a sudden clap of thunder and down came huge drops of rain.    The kids were out in the road jumping in the puddles some had never seen rain before ...The dogs were barking and chasing about ..................................We had to throw a bucket of dust over them to calm them down  "

The old chestnut: "It's caused by "Climate Change".[:)]

Quote:

"El Niño and La Niña occur on average every 3 to 5 years. However, in the

historical record the interval between events has varied from 2 to 7

years. According to the National Centers for Environmental Prediction,

this century's previous La Niñas began in 1903, 1906, 1909, 1916, 1924,

1928, 1938, 1950, 1954, 1964, 1970, 1973, 1975, 1988, and 1995. These

events typically continued into the following spring. Since 1975, La

Niñas have been only half as frequent as El Niños"

I would suggest building a city on a known  flood plain: and then building a huge dam (Wivenhoe Dam) might have something to do with the flood......

I loved this bit, BTW: (December 29th 2010): "

Releases from the dam will combine with large inflows from Lockyer Creek, to Brisbane's west.

No significant damage is expected to result."

In 1953 I lived about 150 yards from the mouth of the Thames Estuary.

The East Coast suffered serious flooding: mainly since the Sea Wall Defences had not been maintained: and much of East Anglia was reclaimed marsh, as was much of Holland.

It will surely happen again: as government spending scarce cash on sea wall defences seemed to have slipped off the radar.

A Winter spring tide: wind in the right direction in the North Sea: and, since 1953, massive saturation development, with little focus on storm drains and flood control.

For years old air raid sirens were located and maintained right around the East Coast, as flood warning alerts.

Not any more.

And when it does happen it will be blamed on "Climate Change": "Carbon Emissions": "Global Warming": or the latest idiot unproven mantra beloved by such as BBC.

Congratulations on getting your "tildes" in place; full perfection would be obtained by graduating to the plural of the masculine and feminine definite article.

Do you have the years for the el niño event to complement and compare with the years already noted for the la niña event.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Congratulations on getting your "tildes" in place; full perfection would be obtained by graduating to the plural of the masculine and feminine definite article.

Do you have the years for the el niño event to complement and compare with the years already noted for the la niña event.

[/quote]

Do you understand (After the third large copita, naturally), what the word "Quote" means?

And parenthesis?

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

Do you understand (After the third large copita, naturally), what the word "Quote" means?

And parenthesis?

[/quote]

No not the faintest idea. I didn't do "modern greats".

Archived