Complete France Forum

Carrot Cake

Rose

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

[quote user="Rose"] my guinea pigs will be anyone who comes back for a cup of tea tomorrow afternoon after lunch [:D]

[/quote]

Well this guinea pig thinks your carrot cake is SUBLIME!

[/quote]

Thanks Gem!  I think it tasted better because the sun was shining and the company was excellent!  I had a lovely afternoon and I'll look forward to doing it again sometime xx

For Gardian about the Lemon Cake.

I made it late this afternoon. The icing on the recipe is one I use regularly, so I knew what to expect with that. My husband said that it was 'compact' and it was. We had cut into it as recommended when it was room temperature, in fact I don't think that I have ever followed a recipe to the letter like that. And the cut slices just looked like on the tv.

Now I have three nude lemons and am wondering what to do with all the lemon juice, as I usually use the zest with the juice, pleasanter flavour in things.

It was an expensive cake to make, all those lemons and eggs and cream. I'm trying to describe the 'cake', maybe an angel cake and husband said a 4/4. IMO as fussy and long winded to prepare as a christmas cake.

I like the apricot jam's finish on it, I'll be doing that again, I only usually glaze with apricot jam when I make fruit tarts or upside down cakes with fruit.

Quality/cost I won't do it again.And if that is a good example of the Quatre Saison resto, well, I will avoid it.

In fact if there wasn't all the icing and jam I would say it was a loaf and probably best having a slice coated with some decent butter. It isn't a 'light' cake, but not heavy either. Still not for me.

Husband says it is fine, so I daresay he will eat most of it. OR I'll do my usual and warm it up and we'll have it hot with a coating of lemon curd and piping hot custard.

The recipe is http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_cake_29430

If anyone else gives it a go, i'll be curious as to how you find it. Now I have had three new recipes this week, I just have two savoury ones to try now.

I made this a couple of days ago - easy and delicious ......[:D]

Bernice

Lemon

Syrup Cake

225 g (8

oz) soft margarine or butter

finely

grated rind of 2 lemons

tablespoon lemon juice

225 g (8

oz) caster sugar

4 eggs

beaten

225 g (8

oz) self raising white flour

For the syrup -

175 g (6

oz) caster sugar

juice of 3

lemons

Grease and

line 22cm (8½

'') round tin (or I used a loaf tin)

Cream

the butter and lemon rind together in a bowl. Gradually beat in the

caster sugar, followed by the eggs, then the lemon juice. Mix in the

flour. (I used a hand held mixer for all this)

Spoon

the mixture into prepared tin, level the surface. Bake

at 180'C (350' F, Mark 4) for about an hour.

While

it is cooking prepare the syrup by putting sugar, lemon juice and a

little water in a saucepan. Heat slowly till sugar dissolves then

bring to the boil and let it bubble for one minute. Allow to cool

until cake is cooked.

As

soon as cake is cooked turn out onto an edged dish and spoon over the

syrup. Leave

for half an hour to allow syrup to soak in.

Either

serve warm or allow to cool completely and

store in an airtight tin for 3 to 4 days.

.And if that is a good example of the Quatre Saison resto, well, I will avoid it.

I have been to Le Manoir and the food was fantastic  (my sister got married there, the whole thing was delightful)- we are going again in May (we were given vouchers as a gift [:D] )

Last Friday I was taken to lunch at Raymond Blancs brasserie in Oxford which I thought was very pleasant and the set lunch was excellent value IMHO. I think 3 courses including a glass of wine were £15.40: http://www.brasserieblanc.com/offers/oxford-dine-with-wine.php As it happened it was just a 10 minute walk from the Ashmoleum Museum which was our next port of call ....

My sister said she was going to give the Lemon Cake a try, I'll ask her how she got on....

I have been shopping all morning and just got in and husband said that the lemon cake is now 'consolidated' and was better yesterday. It looked 'consistent' when RB made it and that is just how mine turned out too, it had risen and split just as his had.

We all have different tastes and I'm sure that some will like it, and this to me now looks like the dreaded french 'le pudding' in consitency.

I cannot waste it and will have to stretch my imagination to get it into something that is pleasant. I don't think that just custard will work it's magic today.

Thanks for the lemon cake recipe Bernice, it is more or less the same as the one I do. I always make my glaze with lemon zest, juice and icing sugar. 3-4 days, never lasts more than a day.

[quote user="Rose"]I love Carrot cake and I also love my Mary Berry Ultimate Cake Book... so today I had a go at making her version of this wonderful cake.

Normally, I follow her recipe and do what she says and I have a perfect cake... but today my carrot cake was nice but not great. [8-)]

I know there are several excellent cooks on this fourm so I was wondering if anyone has a tried and tested recipe that they use and could share with me... or maybe share a few tips on  how to create the perfect carrot cake.

many thanks

xx

[/quote]

I have looked though my online collection of recipes (dishes I like the idea of but never actually get round to making...) and here are the two recipes which I have bookmarked:

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/carrot-cake

Dan Lepard's easy carrot cake

Archived