Complete France Forum

UK TV

woolybanana

[quote user="Loiseau"]Agree about the Neil Morrissey prog, Sweets.  I didn't see tonight's, but I thought the first part, shown a few days ago, was moving and throught-provoking.

Angela
[/quote]

Didn't know there was a first part, Angela.

BTW, did you watch any of the programmes promoting books and reading last month?  Eg, the Beauty of Books?

Then, I saw a fantastic programme about map making and another one confined to the Mapa Mundi in Hereford Cathedral.  Because I know Hereford quite well, I found it especially interesting.

And then, a couple of nights ago, there was a programme, as part of the Coast series, which explored the south west coast from Swanage to Land's End.  As I have walked many areas of that coastal path, it brought back many wonderful memories.

OK, that's enough of TV talk for now:  I guess the cleaning calls.....[:(] 

Talking about dubbed French TV programs (American to French) I always think it's a shame especially with things like The Simpson's. Half the fun is the guest characters who are normally famous people and apart from the credits you don't know who they are and what the joke is unless you know their voice, Like Mick Jagger or Barry White for example. Then there is the character (Mayor what's his name) who speaks with the Kennedy accent. It sort of takes half, if not most, of the fun away. Its a bit strange when you watch CSI and NCIS as well in French. I guess if you know no difference its OK.

I guess that's the same with translating anything like that Q. Asterix from French to English no doubt loses a lot of French jokes, and these have to be replaced with English ones.

Actually some of the names work better in English, like Gerafix the druid and Cacophonix the bard. The original names in French do not pertain at all to their profession like the English equivalent do.

The female baddie character in the Austin Powers movie "Alotta Fajina" was renamed "Detta de fagin" in the French dubbed version, seemed to work quite well [:D] And I learnt a new phrase for "loadsa" as well [;-)]

IIRC Doctor Evils name was a pretty poor substitute.

Archived