Complete France Forum

Art ? ...

LAiffricaine

>>> Investigation after vicar burns Bible 

CHURCH leaders have launched an investigation after a Pennal rector burnt pages from the bible.The Bishop of Bangor this week branded the actions of Pennal vicar Rev Geraint ap Iorwerth as “disrespectful”.

Rev ap Iorwerth of St Peter ad Vincula Church, cut passages from the bible and even burnt some of the pages to create what he called a piece of art to reveal a “cruel and vile God”. He unveiled the work at a service last Thursday, in celebration of the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible.  <<< From the Cambrian News online dated 21 July 2011.

>>> Vicar burns Bible for art

A rector cut passages out of the Bible to create a controversial piece of art to reveal a "cruel and vile God" and then burnt left-over bits in front of church visitors.

It is believed that Rev Geraint ap Iorwerth for St Peter ad Vincula Church in Pennal, is the first vicar in 400 years to burn pages from the Bible. He unveiled the artwork at a service last Thrursday, in celebration of the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible (KJB).

He had spent months cutting out negatives passages of the Bible, which were then used for his mural of conceptual art, temporarily called the KJB - God's Original Shock and Awe or 'Wall of Shame', although members of the public will now have an opportuniy to name it.

'I cut hundreds of passages to do with violence, punishment, sacrifice, revenge. I was horrified the more I cut. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with the Bible, I wnat people to see the violence of their God' says Rev ap Iorwerth.

The 2011 Anno Dom is the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, Rev ap Iorwerth said his art is an alternative view to celebrate the anniversary which has a 'feeling of unreality about it'

'Its language is beautiful but has not focused on who or what this language is talking about.

'Many churches have had KJB events but once the performances are over, the hundreds upon hundreds of pages talking about God's cruel and violent actions are hidden away once more between the holy covers.

'Why are our national, cultural and religious leaders unwilling to look honestly at the character of the God that has supposedly shaped our British values down the centuries? '

About 35 people turned up to see the unveiling at the church on Thrusday, where Rev ap Iorwerth also burnt extracts of the Bible. He said 'The few pages I burnt during the unveiling were bits of the pages left over after the scissors had been at work, which were burnt in memory of the millions of people who have died or been sacrifiiced to the cruel God over the centuries that the hundred of passages in the Bible talk about.

'I'm told that what I've done is probably a first in 400 years!' he added.  <<< Taken from the Cambrian News dated 21 July 2011. Welsh newpaper covering an area from Cardiganshire to the top North West of Wales.

What do you think ?...  Is this burning of the Bible on par with Reverend Jones in Florida burning the Koran or on par with burning the Torah in Germany during the 1930's ...

Art ?... Angry statement against another belief ?... Human intolerance and/or stupidity ?...

I would be unhappy if it was 300 year old plus fine edition of the bible - but if it is a modern edition, as the bible is the most common book in the world it is only paper. Don't get upset - that's obviously what is wanted.

I have heard it called The Good Book,but there are so many bits of it that are full of bad  and dreadful things.

Why not, sure that the church leaders won't like it, but I really do not mind. Seems more like common sense than art though.

Archived