Complete France Forum

Basildon Gypsy Eviction

Dog

Did anyone else see the BBC program on the forthcoming eviction of approximately 1000 gypsies from a green field site they own?

Again it was quoted that the eviction will cost 8 million pounds!!

It seems the company involved has the contract to work for Basildon Council. 8 million is a third of the yearly budget of the council!!!

Even if this was good value I am sure the gypsies would take 5 million to leave.

I have now found this:

//www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/06/dale-farm-council-eviction

Great news the bailiffs are only going to get 2 million but the total cost could be a mind boggling 17.5 million.

I am confused as to why gypsies should wish to be treated differently from other people, given that they have spent decades, even centuries, wanting to be treated the same as other folk.

If they are on land which is not designated for occupation, or whatever the term is these days, then they have to get off it. Quite simple, really.

They might also have to accept that there is a limit on the size of any site too.

If the council begins to make offers of cash for them to go, what is to stop this becoming a very nice little earner for all travelling folk who might choose to set up on the Stonehenge site, or even slap in the middle of Hyde Park. Blackmail is never a solution, I am afraid, Dog. 

That being said, it is a shocking waste of public dosh, but then, what the heck, it seems quite normal in UK these days to take as much as possible from the public purse and to put as little as possible back.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

I am confused as to why gypsies should wish to be treated differently from other people, given that they have spent decades, even centuries, wanting to be treated the same as other folk.

If they are on land which is not designated for occupation, or whatever the term is these days, then they have to get off it. Quite simple, really.

They might also have to accept that there is a limit on the size of any site too.

If the council begins to make offers of cash for them to go, what is to stop this becoming a very nice little earner for all travelling folk who might choose to set up on the Stonehenge site, or even slap in the middle of Hyde Park. Blackmail is never a solution, I am afraid, Dog. 

That being said, it is a shocking waste of public dosh, but then, what the heck, it seems quite normal in UK these days to take as much as possible from the public purse and to put as little as possible back.

[/quote]

There you go again Wooly, you have been warned about thinking and applying logic. It will get you in to bother, you know that. [:D]

Archived