Complete France Forum

Bacon as we used to know it?

mint

I do when I can and the difference is amazing, grilled not broiled and I pay for meat not water so it's easier to estimate how many rashers for a bacon sandwich as they don't shrink so small they become a hors d'oeuvre.

Have you noticed the nasty fishy taste that bacon has over winter when the supermarket pigs are fed on fish pellet food?

Now I have been put right off bacon....

In fact, I hardly eat meat nowadays on account of the cost and having to faff about cooking two meals each time as OH doesn't eat meat.

I make an exception for bacon because, sometimes, just sometimes, I feel like bacon and eggs, fried bread, grilled toms and mushrooms cooked in a drop of milk and knob of butter.

Followed by toast and marmalade and tea....in other words, B&B English breakfast!  Fortunately, it's only about once a year or so that I have this yearning so I don't mind if it's only the thin smoked bacon strips from Lidl![:D]

When I was in France I bought the poitrine fumee from Leader Price. It was good and not full of water and not too thin either.

I always found it strange, in fact really bad, that the french would slice poitrine paper thin and then cut thick slices of jambon cru, which should in fact be en chiffonade.

Just go into your superette and buy a packet of BACON in the charcuterie department.

Or ask for it but NOT pronounced bay con but baa con.

That's right like baa baa black sheep.

Separate tranches with some paper kitchen towel to absorb any fat and 30 seconds in the micro-wave for three or four slices.

delicious!

http://partenaires.e-leclerc.com/marquerepere/Marque-Repere/Produits/Bacon-empile-15-tranches--150-nbsp-g.aspx?id=2759

Archived