Complete France Forum

Would looks matter more to you than....

mint

Would looks matter?

They would/should to a friend of mine who has at least two glasses of wine each evening, not these silly french proper wine glass sizes, but those proper BIG english ones. And then a quick whisky before bed.  Or was that a couple.

She is still pretty and lovely skin and she smokes sometimes. I think that the only thing that would put her off her booze was any signs of it affecting her face. 

People who work on the land here and the local fishermen all have red faces anyway from the elements and the salt air,a good disguise for those who like their tipples.

Think I would rather have a red face than look like that hideous-looking Rivers woman, that really creeps me out.

I don't think it's so much the looks of my face that would worry me, it's the looks of my liver when they do the post-mortem [:'(]

Strangely enough back in September, I went booze-free. Although not overweight, I just didn't like the looks of my belly nor the fact that I couldn't do up the waist bands of skirts and trousers.

Desperate problems call for desperate measures, so I decided I'd have to cut out alcohol.  Couldn't cut down; too difficult, so it had to be do or die.

The weeks passed and, by about Week 5, I'd not noticed any difference.  People say if you don't drink, your skin looks better, you get a better night's sleep, you eyes look less puffy, you lose weight blah, blah.  Do you know what, I didn't notice any of those improvements.  Nothing, zilch.....

Then, I started a thread here based on my dilemma.  So, Wools, if you are reading, many thanks.  I cut down drastically on carbs.  Gengulphus, if you're there too, I remember about the walking that you have recommended to me before so I am back to (almost) daily walks.

There are then the Keep-Fit sessions, twice a week.  I make sure I go with my neighbour and I'd feel a wimp if I didn't keep it up, and anyway, she now calls for me at my house (she only lives next door).

Now, it's about 8 weeks, since the no-alcohol resolution and in all that time, I have had a glass of merlot and one of pineau.  If you'd told me I could go all that time sans alcohol, I'd not have believed you.

I remember once visiting an old friend in Bournemouth.  To make sure there'd be some alcohol about, I took a few bottles of my favourite tipple.  Then, after apero time came and went and dinner was on the table and she still hadn't opened any of the wine I'd brought, I just HAD to say to her, "Brenda, do you think we could have some of that wine I put in the kitchen?"  Goodness knows what she thought, but, hell, was I desperate for a drink after that long drive!

And there was a time when I went to a Health Spa place to lose some weight and for some pampering and I knew there'd be little or no alcohol so I took my own litre bottle of whisky and I'd have to have a nice big glass before I could face dinner with everyone else in the dining room.

I don't know whether, after I'm able to wear all my clothes again, I'll be able to continue to keep all this up.  But, it's really good to know that I CAN do without drinking if I really put my mind to it.

Archived