Complete France Forum

iPads in cockpits.

pachapapa

Despite being a communications engineer by training and profession as a frequent flier I am happy to subscribe to the cautious approach and it's not unknown for me to press the call button when I see somebody flaunting the rules, usually on approach to landing.

Cockpit crew are in a position of being able to judge whether or not an iPad is interfering with on board electronics, and do something about it, so I have no problem with their use.

As an aside you'd never tire of slapping that whining presenter would you !

Not surprised, after all you don't really need a pilot these days, as the computers are perfectly capable of flying the planes. But to be serious the thought of the driver and first occifer checking their E/Mails as you are landing is a bit daunting. [:D]

AnOther.

You say “Cockpit crew are in a position of being able to judge whether or not an iPad is interfering with on board electronics, and do something about it”

Sorry that is not true.

This from a colleague on another forum may be of interest:

‘As a professional radio engineer who has produced EMC standards and equipment that had to meet them, in my opinion, those who use/fail to switch off cellphones, ipads, wifi etc when told not to are dangerous bloody fools who shouldn't be allowed on an aeroplane.

The only devices that can have radio transmitters in them that can't be switched off are pacemakers and hearing aids. In both cases, the level of the radiation is about 1/10,000 of a cellphone or WiFi - which is why they are acceptable.’

Yes the FAA may have approved so and so but the EASA (CAA/JAA) have not and they are far more safety conscious IMO.

[quote user="audio"].......Yes the FAA may have approved so and so but the EASA (CAA/JAA) have not and they are far more safety conscious IMO.[/quote]

Well, if you watch the report the guy from AA says (whilst there is a big photo of a Virgin aircraft on the screen) that Virgin use the same system on their pilots Ipods. Now seeing that all Virgin aircraft are UK registered (see list HERE) then there is obviously an error in either the reporting or the above statement, I wonder which one is correct?

One answer may be of course that once downloaded they turn the WiFi off on the Ipod and not allowed to turn it on whilst inside the aircraft.

The comment about fly by wire (in the report) is interesting because having worked years ago on trials with 'Fly by Wire' (FBW) at the RAE at Farnborough they used optical cables because of the extremely high bandwidth and the possibility of outside interference which is why the FBW equipment is also shielded. In the RAF I came across other Tempest (FBW conforms to Tempest commercial standards) equipment which is computer terminals that are screened and connected to a mini or mainframe computer via a fibre optic cable. The reason for this is that they are totally secure and let off no electrical radiation which could be picked up by 'the enemy', this obviously works in reverse, they can't be interfered with. It therefore follows that radiation that radiation from Ipods and cellphones would not effect the FBW although cellphones may effect other equipment like navigation.

Here we go again......:-)

audio - great input - considered and accurate.

Some of the comments from 'other' posters smack of self denial again I'm afraid. Anyone remember the tortuous thread about in-flight safety demos and the airline industry conspiracy to control it's passengers......hilarious but some dangerously ill-advised input!

Only one thing to say on this issue. As a pilot, one does have the option to actually 'fly' the aircraft oneself - amazing eh ? In fact most on board systems (99% anyway) can be taken off-line in a given set of circumstances. Currently iPad interference is not specifically covered but I'm pretty sure we could work round them......!

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Here we go again......:-)

audio - great input - considered and accurate[/quote]

Really ?

Personally I couldn't see what introducing the act's and attitudes of passengers brought to the table and the implicit suggestion that the FAA are risk taking chancers is risible.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Here we go again......:-) audio - great input - considered and accurate. Some of the comments from 'other' posters smack of self denial again I'm afraid. Anyone remember the tortuous thread about in-flight safety demos and the airline industry conspiracy to control it's passengers......hilarious but some dangerously ill-advised input! Only one thing to say on this issue. As a pilot, one does have the option to actually 'fly' the aircraft oneself - amazing eh ? In fact most on board systems (99% anyway) can be taken off-line in a given set of circumstances. Currently iPad interference is not specifically covered but I'm pretty sure we could work round them......! Chiefluvvie[/quote]

I actually watched the video and you obviously didn't. Why, because there was no suggestion in the video that AA or Virgin pilots were using IPads to actually fly aircraft which would be ludicrous anyway. Having said that perhaps they might make a better job having seen press reports of drunken pilots, drugged pilots and some that sleep for the majority of the flight whilst 'on duty''. What they are saying is they make an excellent and far cheaper replacement for flight books and other documentation a pilot or co-pilot may require.

A few examples.

Drunk pilot is held at Heathrow

As a pilot, one does have the option to actually 'fly' the aircraft oneself - amazing eh ? In fact most on board systems (99% anyway) can be taken off-line in a given set of circumstances.

Spot on chef-fluffy, you give me that much needed exclusive confidence that you will protect PPPs skin, when the Pitôt gets frozen on a fly by night Aerobus.

What a relief!

Q - absolutely no idea what you are on about! Who on earth suggested AA anc VS crews are using ipads to help fly the aircraft ??? Bit too much of the old eau de vie Q if you ask me. Made me laugh though!

As for you pachapapa - do try and stay on topic! The thread is about radio wave interference not pitots! Bless...

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Q - absolutely no idea what you are on about! Who on earth suggested AA anc VS crews are using ipads to help fly the aircraft ??? Bit too much of the old eau de vie Q if you ask me. Made me laugh though! As for you pachapapa - do try and stay on topic! The thread is about radio wave interference not pitots! Bless... Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Er you did, you implied it about two posts back.

Actually it's not about radio wave interference so much but more about, as the title says, AA (and VA) pilots using IPads as a replacement for all the manuals, maps etc they have to carry around and use. As I said before you clearly didn't watch the link in the first post else you would know what we were talking about. My initial response was a comment post that was made on another forum that the WiFi on the IPad would interfere with the on-board electronics (mainly FBW) which it wouldn't but I then went on to say that you can turn off the WiFi which is probably what the pilots do once they have downloaded the updates to their flight manuals.

Are you sure you didn't mean pilots and not pitots (and yes I know what a Pitot is). [:D]

Q - I did not imply anything of the kind ! Ridiculous....and for your info I did watch the vid.

We've been using wifi PDA's on board for years! In-flight sales, manuals, customer service info, engineering support etc - nothing different about ipads in that respect. Just someone trying to make story out of nothing.

Chiefluvvie

How stupid, am I? I am!

Now all is clear.

I get the picture chef-fluffy, masterfully...sorry mistressfully controlling the craft with consummate ease whilst 99% of on-boards are off-line.

Definitely chef-fluffy an iPad is not needed at all, just a corner of the cabin for a broom & black kat.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

How stupid, am I? I am!

Now all is clear.

I get the picture chef-fluffy, masterfully...sorry mistressfully controlling the craft with consummate ease whilst 99% of on-boards are off-line.

Definitely chef-fluffy an iPad is not needed at all, just a corner of the cabin for a broom & black kat.

[/quote]

I really hate to admit this PPP but thats the first time you really made me laugh and it's taken about 5 minutes to recover, 'nice one' as we say down south.

I boarded a plane to Cyprus and the captain gave us the flight information over the address system; the guy behind said 'Blimey, is that a woman?...still, I suppose it's alright as long as they don't let her touch anything". [6]

[quote user="sid"]

I boarded a plane to Cyprus and the captain gave us the flight information over the address system; the guy behind said 'Blimey, is that a woman?...still, I suppose it's alright as long as they don't let her touch anything". [6]

[/quote]

We had a couple pilot's in the RAF who was blind.

There was a special unit for them based at Bedford.

[quote user="Quillan"]We had a couple pilot's in the RAF who was blind.

There was a special unit for them based at Bedford.[/quote]

IIRC there was a story doing the rounds (many) years ago about a pilot who was flying into an aerodrome "somewhere in the south of England", who was informed as he got close to his destination that the conditions were foggy and he might wish to consider a divert. However on the airfield frequency he could hear another aircraft which was carrying out a series of approaches, landings and take-offs, apparently with no problems. He therefore decided to continue to his destination. Just before joining the approach, he again heard the other aircraft carry out another landing and take-off. Despite this, the airfield's ATC still advised him that the conditions were VERY foggy and that he might wish to consider diverting. Thinking "Well, if HE can land, then I can!", he continued with his approach .... down ... down ... in the fog .... no sight of the runway .... down .... down .... still no sight of the runway ... down .... down .... and at the last second he saw the ringway lights when at a ridiculously low height and managed to land. The conditions were terrible: visibility was almost non-existent. Having pulled off the runway, over to the apron and shut down, he heard the other aircraft carrying out yet another landing, after which this time it too taxied over to the apron. As it came into view, he saw that on the side of the fuselage were written the words "Blind Landing Experimental Unit"

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Oh sid - you'll have to do better than that! I'm used to flying with DSK..... Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Well, I'm omitting the rude ones, but how about.....

I was listening to a couple of guys talking about female pilots, "Never want to fly on an aircraft with a woman pilot, blah blah blah".

I thought to myself.. what a pair of narrow-minded sexist idiots, I mean, it’s not as if she’d have to reverse the thing.

iPads used by pilots are used in flight safe mode only, as the Jeppsen flight charts are now loaded onto the iPad, rather than the pilots have to carry volumes of the paper versions around.

The problem with mobile phones or 3g enabled iPads not in flight safe mode, is that the strength of the transmitting signal is ramped up by the device, as it struggles to find a signal at altitude.

Those newer aircraft allowing the use of phones in cruise have a base station on board the plane, which keeps passengers phones at their lowest transmitting strength and limits the number of phones that can be used at any one time.

As an ex pilot I have had first hand experience of avionics being adversely effected by mobile phone usage, which believe me you do not want on an instrument approach!

Archived