Complete France Forum

Resources for teaching English to very young French child

Pickles

One of my French friends has posed a question which is entirely outside my sphere of competence, so I would be delighted to receive your advice. When he had young children, they were living in Quebec, and used Sesame Street as a way of teaching their children rudimentary English: eg the alphabet, counting etc. He wants to find similar material that can now be used for his grandchild (I think the grandchild is 2 years old). Sesame street series are not available on DVD - just compilations of a few programmes. Though I am happy to inflict Ringo Starr on them ("Thomas the Tank Engine"), I recognise that this really isn't what he's looking for. Have any of you any suggestions please? The only series name that came to my mind was "Teletubbies" but this was pounced on with MUCH scorn by Mrs Pickles, who explained in her MOST patronising voice that "they don't use words" in that programme.

Pretty much all the stuff on CBeebies is good. Their website is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/ It is however aimed at young native speakers of English so I am not sure if it is exactly what you want and you obviously need access to UK TV. On DVD I think Charlie and Lola are great and In the Night Garden always went down well with our bi-lingual grandchildren.

Dora the Explorer and her cousin Diego are very popular in our house (age 4, 2) and lots of DVDs available.  Lots of repetition, simple storylines and have a bilingual element - the English DVDs use a few words of Spanish and the French use English.  They also like Wonder Pets a lot, again lots of DVDs available.

Peppa Pig is also very popular as is Bob the Builder but they drive me demented.

At that age, I would just let them bathe in English rather than worry about teaching them letters etc.   It's a pity Sesame St is not available on DVD, would love to get them.  Although, there is a new series from the Jim Henson people called Dinosaur Train - I used to find a few episodes on YouTube and it is fantastic.   It's now on French TV as Dino Train and DVDs are available in French/English via Amazon.fr

We also find pictionary books in either language great.

Archived