Complete France Forum

Sean Penn and the Falklands

idun

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Hoddy"]I read an interesting article yesterday. Apparently Penn lives in California which the Americans took from the Mexicans by force. Perhaps he will campaign for California to be given back to the Mexicans. Hoddy[/quote]

True indeed!

The mexicans have more right to Upper California, New Mexico and Texas than England has to the Islas Malvinas.

But at the end of the day it depends on military power and political alliances; the argentinos will be patient on the military front but active on the political front, where they are having a modest success in Latin America.

The naming of the Argentinian Association Football Premier Division may mean them missing the next World Cup, however the peronists have wide political support within the working poor so it could be accomodated. The name La Liga Crucero General Belgrano adds a symbolic historical nuance to the " beautiful game".

[/quote] Fixed that for you.[/quote]

Your turn to edit my post. Mr FixIt;[;-)]

On the same principle you could say that the Channel Islands should be given back to France and the Isle of Man to Ireland! The difficulty being though is that it would be a little more problematic to subject the combined British population of the Crown Dependencies amounting to 250,000 people to any such change!

The USA of course has far more overseas territories these days than the UK, including the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, US Marshall Islands, a chunk of Cuba, the Hawaiian Islands, plus other assorted Pacific and Indian Ocean territories.

As for Argentina, with the economy in the tank, their President needs political distractions and what better than whip up anti British sentiment over the Falklands. A bit like President Sarkosy!

[quote user="pachapapa"]

The naming of the Argentinian Association Football Premier Division may mean them missing the next World Cup, however the peronists have wide political support within the working poor so it could be accomodated. The name La Liga Crucero General Belgrano adds a symbolic historical nuance to the " beautiful game".

[/quote]

I suspect "La Liga Crucero General Belgrano" will have about life span of the cruiser by that name. Perhaps the crew of HMS Conquerer will offer to play them at a friendly. [:D]

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

I suspect "La Liga Crucero General Belgrano" will have about life span of the cruiser by that name. Perhaps the crew of HMS Conquerer will offer to play them at a friendly. [:D]

[/quote]

The UEFA wirepuller Blatter has already put in motion the need for an official enquiry on the proposed change, so the publicity on a worldwide basis is guaranteed. This will be milked in Latin America to strengthen feelings of sympathy and focus opinion on the Islas Malvinas ( psycopaths please edit at this point before continuing). UEFA will eventually in all probability rule against the use of the new Title for the League. At some point, the most propitious, the argentinos will finalise the name as La Liga General Belgrano and the wirepuller will be stymied. As in effect the title will become no more offensive than the name for the Liga de Libertadores.[:D]

From Tim Stanley in the Torygraph:

I’d like to make a statement about the growing crisis in the Americas. It’s time for justice. It’s time for liberty. It’s time to end the ludicrous and archaic commitment to colonialist ideology. It’s time Sean Penn handed his Malibu estate back to the Mexicans.

Sean Penn pretends to be a friend of the developing world, but really he is not. To be fair, his recent call for the Falkland Islands to be returned to Argentina was an admirable strike against capitalist imperialism.

Moreover, I and the entire North Korean press corps cheered him on when he flew to Iraq to parley with Saddam Hussein, or when he spoke about Hugo Chavez in such glowing terms. But there have always been hints that his sympathy isn’t really with the workers at all. Aside from that time that he spent 32 days in prison for hitting an extra, his net worth of an estimated $150 million is a bit of a giveaway.

His continued occupation of Malibu is an unacceptable mockery of national self-determination. The Mexicans owned that stretch of real estate well into the early 19th century and it was stolen by the Americans in a naked act of imperialist aggression. America’s claim over Malibu is tenuous and rooted in patriarchy. Sean Penn’s house is a mocking reminder of that brute chauvinism, with its high white walls and spacious interiors. Its swimming pool is an insult to the honour of the Mexican people.

Now, I know that some will say that the Mexicans never actually lived on Sean Penn’s estate. But how many of them have worked there? Think of the maids, the cleaners, the butlers, the pool boys, the cooks, the gardeners. Think of the sweat that has dripped pouring Martinis, or the blood that was spilt pruning the roses. Truly, Sean Penn’s estate is part of Aztlan.

If diplomatic discussions break down, who could blame Mexico for resorting to military action to reclaim Mr Penn’s estate? Not I. Some might say that it would be an act without legal sanction or genuine historical cause. But that’s not the point. The people of Mexico want Sean Penn’s estate, so they should have it. Because stealing stuff from the rightful owners is the only way to combat colonialism.

[quote user="idun"]

There were never any argentinians of any sort on these islands and are not now.

So what next, St Pierre et Miquelon back to the canadians. Alaska back to Canada. Channel Islands back to France and maybe just maybe, the Americas North and South back to the natives and kick all the europeans out, now that would be a good idea nez pah[6]

[/quote]Alaska was originally part of the Csarist empire and was purchased by the USA in 1867 for $7.2 million. perhaps it should be returned to the Inuits.

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="idun"]

There were never any argentinians of any sort on these islands and are not now.

So what next, St Pierre et Miquelon back to the canadians. Alaska back to Canada. Channel Islands back to France and maybe just maybe, the Americas North and South back to the natives and kick all the europeans out, now that would be a good idea nez pah[6]

[/quote]Alaska was originally part of the Csarist empire and was purchased by the USA in 1867 for $7.2 million. perhaps it should be returned to the Inuits.[/quote]

Seward's Folly![;-)]

Personally, given the need to protect the islanders and the potential economic gains to be made, I think they should be incorporated into the UK and given their own MP and various other goodies. And we could always use the nasty bits as military training areas or a camps to keep undesirable aliens that some stoopid court says we can't deport.

I think Americans should learn to keep their noses out of other peoples affairs. America is possibly the most dangerous country in the world with regards to world peace. As for this bloke, well I think somebody should do to him what Jeremy Clarkson suggested should be done with public sector workers except a lot slower.

Argentinan politician  Carlos Kunkel  is planing to form a close association with Scotland to get support for its claim on the Falklands   ... They want to send a delegation to join the celebrations of the 700 th aniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn. .... That shows how much the Argentinians know about the people who live on the Falkland islands ....A good many of them are decended from Scottish settlers .  Somehow  I do not think Alex Salmond will want to be seen shaking hands with Argentinians on that day  !

[quote user="Frederick"]Argentinan politician  Carlos Klunkel  is planing to form a close association with Scotland to get support for its claim on the Falklands   ... They want to send a delegation to join the celebrations of the 700 th aniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn. .... That shows how much the Argentinians know about the people who live on the Falkland islands ....A good many of them are decended from Scottish settlers .  Somehow  I do not think Alex Salmond will want to be seen shaking hands with Argentinians on that day  !
[/quote]

Do you mean this argentinian kunkel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKFuLZpLU1M

Even better Que Cachetazo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrxU7HIDVnQ&feature=related

Archived