Complete France Forum

Has anyone had a call from Windows Service Centre?

mint

Our eldest son when he was a student worked part time  in a call centre; for one of the biggest double glazing companies in the UK. When I enquired as to how he could put up with such an awful job, he said it's quite good fun, it's a game, and the art is not to let the "customer" wind you up, just the opposite some times. Mind you he did/does have quite a wicked sense of humour.[:D]

[quote user="Quillan"]Ah you mean 'psychopath' now thats a word that is in the dictionary. Are the strings to your bow unlimited, a mental health doctor now as well.[/quote]

Yes indeed it is a noun.

My use of the word was as an adjective, as a didactic gesture I would like to pass on ONE string of my bow by explaining that the rational arrangement of a dictionary is to index by means of the substantive with the relevant adjectives, adverbs, etc, contained within and subsidiary to the principal dictionary entry.

Here is an example of psychopath within it's adjectival disguise:

The worst part of all this is that psychopathic men pick a certain type of woman to victimize!

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="pachapapa"]I can see now reason to waste my time engaging in amateur dramatics and pschopathic histrionics.[/quote]
it was your spelling PPP that threw us off track ... as I had not heard of pschopathic either.

Sue

[/quote]

Oh! damn it! now all those Malvinas Islands thread foillowers will be equally confused.[:-))]

• 1 month later...
Ha ha just happened to me the other day. I received a phone call yesterday from a lady who had my name, and said that Microsoft had identified that my computer was infected with a Windows virus. "Really" I said, "you MUST tell me more". So she rattled on about how I could do a check on my computer which would show some errors and then, cutting to the chase, go to a website to purchase a recovery tool. I asked her to go through the whole procedure with me, asking stupid questions about exactly which button to press, etc.and keeping her on the phone for at least 15 minutes ... heck it's their bill.

At the end I said, "now that's fascinating, so you mean that I have to go out and buy a computer and actually do all these checks on it?" (*innocent face*)

Pause, and she said "But you must have a computer, everybody has one". "Oh not me" I replied, "so I'm fascinated in how I can have a virus on it. Tell me, are you those scammers from the Indian call centre that I keep hearing about"

Click ... brrrrrr, phone put down.

But reading on other fora, I see that some people have actually been duped. They sound convincing, so just be warned. A few friends have also had these calls so clearly they've got hold of an Aquitaine phone book and are working their way through it!

They phone here about once a month.

Sometimes I tell 'em I've got a Mac, sometimes I just wait for them to tell me they're from Windows, or Microsoft, or whoever, and then I say "No you aren't". They're very persistent, though.

What I do find most odd, and it seems to be happening more often, is the number of calls I get in the middle of the day for OH. I know unemployment's on the rise, but surely it must occur to all these call centres that there are still people who are unlikely to be sitting at home waiting for a phone call in the middle of the day?

And if I get another call about for loft insulation or solar panels, I will not be responsible for my actions. I'm convinced these ones are primarily designed to prey on the elderly and vulnerable...especially since one caller went to great lengths to explain to me that if I was over a certain age or below a certain income level, I could have whatever he was selling for FREE.

Yes they are very persistant chaps. They do the same thing with B&B owners "Want to be on the Ryanair website". When you tell them you already are and that they are not from the only two companies that Ryanair use they still carry on. Just put the phone down on them.

Archived