Another Scandinavian drama on the Beeb

Clair

After The Killing, here come The Bridge:

"Detectives from Denmark and Sweden are

forced to work together when a body is found on a bridge between the two

countries. However, further investigation reveals the corpse has a

gruesome secret - and investigators Saga Noren and Martin Rohde realise

the criminal they are chasing will stop at nothing to get his message

across. Scandinavian crime drama, in Danish and Swedish.
"

I loved The Killing in its original version and the US version was also very good.

[quote user="AnOther"]I'm sure it will be excellent, trouble is Clair I simply cannot stand watching films with subtitles ![/quote]

The subtitles in the original series of The Killing did not detract from the suspenseful plot and I'd rather read subtitles than listen to dubbed dialogue![:)]

You're not alone in your dislike, and I suspect native English speakers (UK or US) tend to have a low tolerance for subtitles.

I agree with you. Subtitles are much less irritating than dubbed dialogue. Also I have found subtitles a useful way of improving my understanding of a foreign language.

That aside I thought the series has made an excellent start and IMO is even better than "The Killing"

We enjoyed The Killing, and don't mind the subtitles, but have missed the start of this new thriller.

On the other hand, I loved the Inspector Montalbano series - though I think it appealed to women more than men [:$] The subtitles were useful on there, showing lots of similarities between Italian and French.

Hoping they produce more episodes soon.

[quote user="cooperlola"]If you're all into this sort of stuff then I hope you're watching Homeland (also adapted from a "foreign" - in this case Israeli - TV drama) but with a stunning Brit/US cast, great writing and an intricate "did he didn't he, is he/isn't he?" plot.[/quote]

I'm recording this and I'll watch it when the series is complete, as I cannot bear to wait for a new episode every week![:D]

Homeland is superb.

I watched the first episode of The Bridge last night and really will have to discuss it with a swedish friend of mine. To say I was shocked by lots of it, would be a bit of an understatement.

I also noticed, as on the film The Dragon Tattoo Girl, the main door open outwards. I do get fascinated by trivia and also must ask my swedish friend if doors opening outwards is normal on the arctic circle where she is from. I just wonder what they do and what happens if two meters of snow falls against a door that opens outwards....... either it is a sign to not bother going out, or they are simply 'stuck'. Opening inwards, well, you'd be met by a wall of snow, but at least you could dig your way out?

I was watching one of those 4 in a bed things at the weekend, Idun, and a very posh (over a hundred squids a night for bloomin' Leicestershire - sorry, but not the most obviously tourist-y bit of the UK) b&b had an outward opening main front door.  I was just waiting for one of the guests to go flying like a bowling pin.  I'm not sure I'd be very happy turning up there on my crutches as the door was solid (ie no glass panel.)  Very odd indeed, I agree.

But I digress.

Spoilt for choice with decent drama from across the pond at the mo (plus one or two UK things which aren't bad).  AND the delicious Mr Oliphant's back on 5US.[:P][:P][:P]

[quote user="idun"]

I also noticed, as on the film The Dragon Tattoo Girl, the main door open outwards. I do get fascinated by trivia and also must ask my swedish friend if doors opening outwards is normal on the arctic circle where she is from. I just wonder what they do and what happens if two meters of snow falls against a door that opens outwards....... either it is a sign to not bother going out, or they are simply 'stuck'. Opening inwards, well, you'd be met by a wall of snow, but at least you could dig your way out?

[/quote]From living in Sweden for 10 years I can confirm it is standard for Swedish doors to open outwards. This means you push the snow away when opening the door instead of falling into your house. The other advantage is when there is a cold wind it blows the door tightly against its seals and so reduces cold draughts.   Very heavy snowfalls are comparitively rare in Sweden and as people often have steps up to the door this further reduces the potential problem.

That's what I thought Rabbie. But, having lived in the Alpes so long and our garage door was north facing, I remember us having a lot of snow against it from time to time and we could not, well I, could not have opened it pushing the snow away. But I do understand about the wind pushing the door closed.

Olyphant, Coops, I saw him on The US Office the other night and I kept trying to think what I had seen him in before, and later remembered it was Deadwood, another program that I thoroughly enjoyed........ pity they took it off, but it did get round to the Hearst families dealings, so maybe 'they' stopped it.

Archived