Complete France Forum

Lazy Britain

NormanH

Hmmm - I'm not sure that 'slothful ' is the adjective I'd choose, inactive, in the British sense, I plead guilty to. My days are pretty full but the fact is much of my activity, both business and leisure involve sitting down, rather than physical activity.

I like gardening but weather has been so damp that it has been somewhat curtailed this year.

I can be very active, but I love being slothful. I don't care where it comes in any poll or list, it suits me.

Sat down reading a good book, with some music playing and a good cuppa tea........... and better still when I know I should be doing something else. [Www]

I do find since slothfullness was forced upon me that it becomes more and more difficult to get out of the habit.  It's very easy now to persuade myself not to do anything since it's become more difficult.  I used to be out and about every day with the dobbins or the dog and now that I can do neither it's hard to get motivated so the telly, the pc and books and mags become increasingly appealing.

I have a couple of very overweight friends (married) who seem to get fatter every time I see them.  They used to at least work but now they've retired it seems that even walking across the supermarket car park is too much of an effort - they'll drive round and round waiting for a space near the door rather than walk any distance.

It's a self-perpetuating downward spiral, I'm afaid, and I'm acutely aware of how much damage it is doing to me in terms of the weight I put on.   I didn't realise it contributed to breast cancer though - that was a new one on me!

Archived