Complete France Forum

Belgium takes a step forward.

woolybanana

Little Belgium, riven by linguistic differences, with three main language communities that do not get on has come up with a great idea to face the reality that the language most spoken or understood by the maximum number of people in Belgium is English. Look carefully at the headlines in this link and you will see what they have done. Good for them.

http://www.lesoir.be/la_une/

There are tons of good language courses in Belgium to learn the community languages. In fact, you cannot easily survive in Flanders if you don't speak Flemish?

And, yes, Quillan, I have often said that to Belgians. To be fair, some university faculties such as business and medicine give most if not all of their classes in English.

My younger daughter runs a small language school south of  Brussels and can barely cope with the demand for English courses from companies.

Belgium is easier to start a business in, lots of support, but tons of young people are leaving. Which is a major change as they did not used to like to leave. I am told that UK universities have many Belgian assistants these days which is good as they are often high quality.

Archived