Complete France Forum

Summer UK TV

idun

I had been rather missing a couple of things that had their series finale some weeks ago.

But not all bad, there is a new series called The Newsroom that I am really enjoying. Hard for me to remember Jeff Daniels as Dumb or was it Dumber, as he plays a very authoritative and to my surprise, charismatic news anchor. It has me watching and wishing that there were a few out there like the character he is playing.

If you have even a little interest in amercian politics, then you may, like me, enjoy this series.

The Borgias have started again and whether it be even vaguely factual, I don't care. The music is splendid, the costumes devine and an hour watching it goes like a shot.

I don't watch Big brother. In fact some evenings, I have found it hard to find anything that peeks my interest. And then I do.

A documentary about Hardy Amies, WW11 Spy Master in charge of Belgium...........and what a splendid program that was. The belgian government in exile came across as a very cowardly and stupid lot. 

The Relief of Belsen, that had me crying and then proud of the team who did their very best to save as many inmates as they could.

A couple of nights ago there was a corker of a cast in Page 8 a spy story, Ralph Fiennes, Bill Nighy, Michael Gambon and Rachael Weisz. The end left open, maybe there will be more, I do hope so. Worth a watch too.

So there have been gems amoungst the rubbish that is  currently being shown.

edit, I have to add here that the best of summer french viewing when my children were young was Taggart. Really, in mid summer that was about as good as it got and it was on every summer for a few years.

Archived