Complete France Forum

Film transfer to DVD

woolybanana

This is a link to a cheap way to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bKRCD-06-M

Here is a link to give you average prices for convertion.

http://www.transferhouse.co.uk/cineprices.html

The problem in trying to get best quality for minimum effort is you really need to get drum scanner which is designed for exactly this type of job, The problem is your probably need to sell your house as they start from £25,000 second hand (see one HERE).

Another method is to use a good resolution flat bed scanner and scan the film in strips which could take forever and of course you then have an issue with sound.

So unless anyone has a better idea I think the best way is the one described in the YouTube movie. Do it at night with no lights on both in the room and adjacent rooms with the curtains pulled to get the best results. This does of course assume you have a projector of course.

Software- Well as they say you probably have Microsoft Movie Maker on your Windows PC, other alternatives are mentioned in the YouTube movie.

If you go down the route described in the YouTube video I would try and keep the video camera close to the projector so the angle of view is almost the same. If you don't and you have the camera to the right of the projector the top left corner will appear to be lower than the right and the bottom left corner higher that the right. I would also experiment with distance from the screen. I noticed the chap had the projector nearer to the screen than normal which made for a smaller picture. I don't know if this made a difference to the quality of the finished product so worth experimenting with. If you have sound then turn the volume down to a minimum as I suspect the output is for an external speaker and might damage the camera. Turn it up a little at a time recording each time and playing back to see what the quality is like. Good luck and let us know how you got on.

Archived