Complete France Forum

Teenager Drinks Liquid Nitrogen in cocktail almost dies

Frederick

Gosh a frightening story. I've seen these cocktails advertised but as my knowledge of chemistry is rather limited, I just assumed it would be fairly harmless. I assume there will be a massive claim for damages coming soon. And how can she manage without a stomach ... what are the practicalities, being fed with an IV tube for the rest of her life?

What about the muppets in the bars that sell these things for visual effect, they are the ones to blame and should be locked up.

Its a sad indictment of todays media driven look at me society that people want or accept sparklers and cryogenics in their cocktails.

I used to liberate a thermos flask of dry ice to take to parties, I would empty it in the upstairs toilet bowl and there would soon be smoke filling the upper floor and tumbling down the stairs, as crazy as I was in those days I would never have dreamed of drinking the stuff.

I really believe that people are becoming more and more stupid...... there is this and there was that woman who poured petrol into a container in the kitchen, with the gas on ! I think more people are becoming reliant on government health warnings to tell them what they can and cannot do, like your cigarettes have to tell you that you will die if you smoke, so much so that people have stopped using their brains.

[quote user="nectarine"]Gosh a frightening story. I've seen these cocktails advertised but as my knowledge of chemistry is rather limited, I just assumed it would be fairly harmless. I assume there will be a massive claim for damages coming soon. And how can she manage without a stomach ... what are the practicalities, being fed with an IV tube for the rest of her life?[/quote]

The BBC  news website explains that one can eat normally without a stomach (!!) but smaller amounts and taking vitamin etc pills.  Bit of a nuisance though for the rest of one's life I'd have thought.

Actually having read a later report whilst it seems uncharitable to say so the young lady does share some of the responsibility as it would appear that she gunned down the two £8.95 cocktails, had she drunk them at a reasonable pace she would either quickly have felt that they were too cold too drink or they would have had time to cool.

I distinctly recall seeing for the first time in the early 90's a group of not so young girls downing shots in a race, it shocked me to the core as not only was it distinctly unladylike but they all became very pished within minutes, it was 21.00 and they were going on to a night club later.

Fast forward 20 years and I had to watch my 30 year old nephews cremation after he died of liver disease and to try and comfort his sister, a mother herself who is very very ill and awaiting a liver transplant having been a binge drinker at 16, downing shots like all her friends.

The poor young girl in the article will have to adapt to a life without a stomach but she may actually have saved herself from something worse.

I do hope the media use this to warn against all the dangers of binge drinking and not just attack the bar owners.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Wasnt you that burnt the place down was it?

I seem to recall it being a hog roast that got out of hand, AKA an insurance job! Clever though as there were no shortage of witnesses.

[/quote]

No couldn't have been me, there was no shortage of water on the dance floor after the Mk1 dry ice smoke machine leaked [:-))]

Archived