Complete France Forum

The Pillars of the Earth.

pachapapa

It's taken a bit of time to translate then?

The best series on TV at the moment (second season to start on 1st April) is Game of Thrones (1st season available on DVD/Blueray now, just).

You will be able to watch "World without End" Season Two of "The Pillars of the Earth" on Channel 4 and C4 HD later this year. C4 have also bought the rights to "The Labyrinth" by Kate Moss which will star John Hurt. I just hope that the latter is less infantile in it's script than the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the tv prog was quite good.

I'll have to try the Game of Thrones again, I started to watch the first episode a couple of times, but there were sinister small children and that really really is freaky and scary and I couldn't watch any more.

[quote user="Quillan"]You will be able to watch "World without End" Season Two of "The Pillars of the Earth" on Channel 4 and C4 HD later this year.

C4 have also bought the rights to "The Labyrinth" by Kate Moss which will star John Hurt. I just hope that the latter is less infantile in it's script than the book.[/quote]

I bought the "enhanced" edition of the book on my iPad after thoroughly enjoying the adaptation on TV last year. Eddie Redmayne was absolutely mesmerising (as he was in Birdsong last month). But, as I have stated before, I cannot abide watching French-dubbed films or programs, knowing that the dialogue and voices are nowhere near the originals... So I'll give that adaptation a miss and keep my eye on the forthcoming World Without End later on on C4...

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Quillan"]You will be able to watch "World without End" Season Two of "The Pillars of the Earth" on Channel 4 and C4 HD later this year.
C4 have also bought the rights to "The Labyrinth" by Kate Moss which will star John Hurt. I just hope that the latter is less infantile in it's script than the book.[/quote]
I bought the "enhanced" edition of the book on my iPad after thoroughly enjoying the adaptation on TV last year. Eddie Redmayne was absolutely mesmerising (as he was in Birdsong last month). But, as I have stated before, I cannot abide watching French-dubbed films or programs, knowing that the dialogue and voices are nowhere near the originals... So I'll give that adaptation a miss and keep my eye on the forthcoming World Without End later on on C4...

[/quote]

I could not agree more. I also have a thing about the French film and TV industry with regards to dubbing. If I want to watch a French film in the UK I have to watch it with subtitles and now I understand French a little more it is clear that it really is like one of those comic sketches where the guy talks for five minutes and the subtitle just says "No". I do have this thing about French films being forced on you with subtitles when in the UK and that English (speaking) films have to be dubbed to be shown in France. I know the French want to protect their language but really it's a bit much which is why I won't watch them. Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with the film it's a problem I have with the French establishment with regards to dubbing.

I found that there were some tv programs that I had always seen in french, that weredubbed that I just couldn't watch in their original english. I just didn't like the original actors voices.

And a great example for all my family was watching Kevin Costner playing Robin Hood, well all thoroughly enjoyed the film in french and could not watch it in 'english' at all. Not that I mind Kevin Costner playing an american at all, just not someone from the midlands.

I get irritated when I hear a French voice dubbing an English or American actor whose voice I know, and more so when I recognise the same French actor dubbing other actors in several other imported programs.

It spoils the whole viewing for me.

[quote user="Clair"]I think it has more to do with providing employment to actors and the general refusal by most viewers to watch subtitled programs, rather than protecting the French language.
[/quote]

It's something I read somewhere and I have tried to find it on the web but can't. Basically for any film or TV show to be viewed in France means it has to be dubbed in to French. Any French film or TV program shown outside France can only be shown in French with subtitles.

There is one actor that I thought was 'well done' and that was Sean Connery. If memory serves, the voice sounded to me at least, and I may have a 'bad' ear, rather like I would imagine Sean Connery would, if he could speak french.

Gory, I have no idea, I don't mind a bit of gore if there isn't too much. In the first part I saw there were some very creepy children and I had to turn off. And yet I like the look of it, Q seems to have watched it.

Re distinctive voices. I remember the when Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy was first aired on Radio 4. I have just watched the film and for all 'The Book' was OK, Stephen Fry, I think, he was not a patch on Peter Jones, doubt they will ever get anyone to replace him.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

That's what I meant, Idun!  I think dubbing is indeed far worse when somebody has a really distinctive voice which you know.

On the subject of Game of Thrones - is it very gory?  It looks as if it might be which is what's putting me off getting it on  DVD.

[/quote]

Less than The Tudors.

• 9 months later...

Archived