Complete France Forum

'Allo 'Allo

NickP

Due to the weather conditions that have confined us to indoors, I've just watched on the satellite 'Allo 'Allo. I'd forgotten what a wonderful program it was, totally unbiased as everyone is an idiot; be they British, French, German or Italian. In the episode I watched the Gestapo had their phone cut off because they hadn't paid the bill, priceless. Entertainment of the highest order and no axes to grind about political correctness or any other nonsense. Pure escapism and a wonderful way of wasting time. I'm sure that my attempts at speaking French are akin to the policeman. [:)]

And there were fears that the subject being made in to a comedy would cause offence.

Good that the British can take the mickey out of themselves. Interestingly, when the Spanish showed Fawlty Towers Manuel was not cast as a Spaniard but I think an Italian. I am sure if the Spanish made a programme making fun of the British and it was shown in Britain I would hope that they would not change the British character.

Archived