Complete France Forum

Cruises: Bad for One's Health?

Gardian

A UK-based couple we know are very keen on cruising (on a ship, that is!)  They're away at least annually and are currently on a six week trip to South America.

I got a text from them the other day to say that one of them had been suffering from dehydration and had to be treated by the onboard doctor.  She had recovered and they had just got the bill - £1,300 !!!!  To the best of my knowledge she hadn't had to go ashore for hospital treatment.

I sent a reply asking whether they were insured and indeed they are, but he said that another couple had run up a £5k bill between the two of them.

Sounds to me like a good job for a retired doctor - you get a six week cruise and you rob a captive audience with extortionate fees.  Or is my initial reaction unreasonable?

Surely the insurance would have covered that bill?????

My cousin was due to go on holiday last Novemeber with Celebrity Cruises and norovirus on this cruise ship was mentioned. She cruises regularly and was impressed by all the measures taken to keep the ship clean and they didn't come down with it. In fact she didn't know of anyone who did although the rumour mill said that some people had.

[quote user="idun"]Surely the insurance would have covered that bill?????

[/quote]

Apparently so, but there'll probably be some level of excess - say £100.

However, that would have occurred anyway if the bill had been a more reasonable £300 or so. I mean, the fee represents (or should represent) just the doc's time and any drugs used.

My cynicism suggests the cruise firm using 'the provision of medical services' as another source of profit.

Anybody else heard of extortionate charges like this?  

[quote user="Loiseau"]Yes, some friends of mine were on a Costa cruise recently, and one needed medical treatment. I can't remember how much it cost (no pun intended!), but they were horrified. Angela[/quote]

Well, they have to pay for the Costa Concordia somehow.

Archived