Complete France Forum

Home-made "Branston"-style pickle

Clair

I bought a jar of Branston pickle the other day, and I enjoy it so much I though I'd try my hand at making some... or something as close to it as possible.

I looked at the list of ingredients and there's nothing there I can't find, so I got a couple of recipes from the internet and I'm ready to get started.

Before I start chopping, I thought I'd ask here in case someone had some tips to pass on...?

So, any suggestions? Please?

I'm not the pickle maker in this household, but my husband makes pickle. It is different every single time and he tells me it is good, but it never tastes like Branston Pickle. Even the recipes that say it should be. And Q is right, watch out for the vinegar, he hasn't had problems with the pickle, but I have with pickled beetroot.

I don't know how you get the same taste (if you find out, please share) but for me at least, one of the main attributes is the crunchyness of the veg.  From this I would imagine that it is not made like a chutney but more like preserved veg like onions or cornichons.  It follows then that after chopping the veg you need to get the excess water out by using strong brine, or my preferred method, sprinkling with lots of salt then washing it off after several hours.

Either way good luck and I will be following this thread with interest.

PS and a little thread hijack, has anyone made sweet piccalilli?  I've made the usual sour sort but really fancy the sweet version

EDIT: Ooops my post crossed with yours, I'm a bit surprised how long you cook it for but do let us know how it turns out

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]I don't know how you get the same taste (if you find out, please share) but for me at least, one of the main attributes is the crunchyness of the veg.  From this I would imagine that it is not made like a chutney but more like preserved veg like onions or cornichons.  It follows then that after chopping the veg you need to get the excess water out by using strong brine, or my preferred method, sprinkling with lots of salt then washing it off after several hours.

Either way good luck and I will be following this thread with interest.[/quote]

Well, I've just finished all the chopping and measuring, and it's cooking as I type.

It does look like a lot of liquid even before the veg is cooked, so I'm thinking I may have to drain the veg when cooked, then boil/reduce the left-over liquid.

The proper Branston pickle is definitely not runny, so I'm also considering a bit of cornflour to thicken the liquid once it's reduced.

I would have said that cider vinegar was a milder option.

I would reduce towards  the end of the cooking process, and not take the liquid out to reduce. My husband has never made a runny pickle and some stages, he always gets me to have a look. So this is what I have always suggested he do if there is too much liquid, or appears to be. Whichever he has made always comes out spreadable but not solid or runny. In fact just right.

It is always thicker when cool, isn't there the trick of running a wooden spoon  along the pickle and when it leaves a tempory line, it is done.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]I don't know how you get the same taste (if you find out, please share) but for me at least, one of the main attributes is the crunchyness of the veg.  From this I would imagine that it is not made like a chutney but more like preserved veg like onions or cornichons.  It follows then that after chopping the veg you need to get the excess water out by using strong brine, or my preferred method, sprinkling with lots of salt then washing it off after several hours.[/quote]

OK, it's all cooked (pressure cooker, marvellous invention!)

Pierre, you'll be interested to know there was hardly any liquid left, just enough to stir a tbsp of cornflour to give the whole thing a thicker consistency.

Veg with a soft bite, too.

On tasting, I decided to add 1 tbsp of molasses too, as it tasted acidic, whereas Branstons has a good sweet/sour balance.

yield: 4½ x 500ml jars

I'll leave the jars in the cellar for a few weeks and I'll revisit at Christmas...

WB: no, the veg didn't come from the garden. I had bought a couple of courgettes (and carrots, and cauli) and the swede came from my neighbour's autumn crop.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]OK I'm convinced, I'll give it a go.

Hmm now where can I get a swede ?...........[/quote]

They're called rutabaga in France. I've seen them in the greengrocer's and the supermarket.

I didn't follow the recipe to the letter...

I used one rutabaga and one golden turnip, 2 carrots, 2 courgettes, 7 large sweet gherkins (they're called à la Russe or aigre-doux in French supermarkets and sold in large stubby jars).

I used quatre-épices in lieu of all-spice, and added ½ tsp of Espelette chili powder.

The rest as listed, except for the cornflour and molasses added at the end.

Oh, and I didn't have any caramel colouring either! [:D]

Everything was diced to 3mm on the small cutting grill of the Alligator.

I brought the lot to a boil, half-covered, then 5mn under low pressure.

Then I left the pressure cooker alone to lose pressure naturally.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...
[quote user="Clair"]I'll leave the jars in the cellar for a few weeks and I'll revisit at Christmas...[/quote]

I'm a bit late in reporting, but not because it didn't work, quite the opposite!

Pierre, you may be pleased to know that the cooked veg burst on the tongue and are not at all mushy.

It doesn't taste quite as rich as Branston's, but it does taste more mellow than it did when I first tried it a month or so ago and I'm very happy with my first attempt.

Next time, I'll stick to the same recipe, but add more salt and possibly a touch of lemon juice.

When you have perfected it Clair, you must apply to go on Dragons' Den, and get the backing of one of the Dragons to produce it commercially. (Peter Jones is into this kind of opportunity.) Be sure to think of a funky name for your pickle. Maybe some suggestions from forum members might give you an idea.....................................or not?

Archived