Complete France Forum

Welcome to Britain

nomoss

[quote user="idun"]http://www.scribd.com/doc/23614068/Benefits-for-Immigrants-Booklet 

This is the full booklet, it says June 2006 on it, so may be still valid, or not, I don't know.
[/quote]

Thanks idun.

Rather a nasty and incorrect interpretation of it in the article then. Rabble rousing seems popular in the UK.[:(]

I took a patient into hospital this week accompanied by a carer from a council run home . The  lady  early 30's I would think was from Romania . Far from living on benefit she told me she started work at 8am and was due to finish at 8pm  .. On asking her if that was her normal working hours  she told me she could work as many  12 hour days  as she wanted to   She chose her own hours . Her agency Manpower sent her to the care homes  and she pointed out to me that they were her employer not the council run home  even though she had been working there for a long time .  She told me she had an 11 year old son and the reason she came to the UK was  to see that her son had a good education .Her husband she told me was an electrician and working in the Bournemouth  area where they chose to be as it was on the coast  They sound like a couple of hard workers to me and just want to give their child the best start in life they can .   There is obviously plenty of work in the care homes she is sent to by the agency and the care homes must be paying well over the basic wage to Manpower to get staff .So she is paying her taxes and I imagine also her husband is paying his .  

We have a Romanian lady  ( so we have been told ) ..newly arrived and sitting on the ground outside our post office in the village offering us the Big Issue . I don't know how well she is doing  but I imagine her countryman and his wife in Bournemouth may well be paying their tax to support her  as are we all .

[quote user="Frederick"]I took a patient into hospital this week accompanied by a carer from a council run home . The  lady  early 30's I would think was from Romania . Far from living on benefit she told me she started work at 8am and was due to finish at 8pm  .. On asking her if that was her normal working hours  she told me she could work as many  12 hour days  as she wanted to   She chose her own hours . Her agency Manpower sent her to the care homes  and she pointed out to me that they were her employer not the council run home  even though she had been working there for a long time .  She told me she had an 11 year old son and the reason she came to the UK was  to see that her son had a good education .Her husband she told me was an electrician and working in the Bournemouth  area where they chose to be as it was on the coast  They sound like a couple of hard workers to me and just want to give their child the best start in life they can .   There is obviously plenty of work in the care homes she is sent to by the agency and the care homes must be paying well over the basic wage to Manpower to get staff .So she is paying her taxes and I imagine also her husband is paying his .  

We have a Romanian lady  ( so we have been told ) ..newly arrived and sitting on the ground outside our post office in the village offering us the Big Issue . I don't know how well she is doing  but I imagine her countryman and his wife in Bournemouth may well be paying their tax to support her  as are we all .

[/quote]

As I have said many times, the above has been my experience of the vast majority of immigrants I have met during my working life over the past 10 years or more. And, given the nature of my work, I tend to meet only immigrants!

Quite recently, I set my group of students a task to write a letter to David Cameron, explaining what they felt about his recent words on immigration and EU membership. The following example is quite typical.

Dear Sir Minster Cameron

I writing to you, a Polish immigrant, living alone in the UK almost 7 years.

Last time you said that “Migrant jobseekers who don’t bother to learn English will be stripped of benefits”

So I’m learning English, I’m watching only English TV and I’m reading newspapers every day.

I’m working all the time and don’t use the benefits. I’m working in English company, I have a contract for work. My employers are happy of me because I respect my work and carry out their/my diutes well. All this time I pay tax and insurance.

I have many of English Friends at work. We often meet after work. We cook together and talk about English and Polish culture, history, music and literature.

Sometimes we go out to a restaurant, to the cinema or a pup.

I live in this country, sought to make something good for him..And therefore I don’t understand why you don’t like immigrants.

The writer is Polish, a grandmother living alone in the UK. I have met many, many people like her who share her work ethic and sentiments over the years.

As for the Big Issue....despite criticism after the court case a while back, it is worth reading about the background and ethos. Selling the BI is a job, and I can well imagine that for the many Roma people doing it, it's probably going to be one of the only ones they'll be likely to get....

One of my mothers carers is Bulgarian, ......she is a fantastic carer and has gone the extra mile time and time again, even though my mother can be extremely trying. Even the District nurse speaks highly of her.

Her brother and his wife also live here and all are gainfully employed and have never claimed benefit......

Archived