Complete France Forum

Rights viv a vis neighbour

woolybanana

It looks as if my neighbour has won the right to build a wall between us which has both good and bad implications for my property and blood pressure, something he has been on about for some time. Obviously I shall be off down to the commune tomorrow to get the sordid details. But, does anyone know just what legitimate input I might have to mitigate what might be the more extreme elements of his plans, other than jumping up and down and screaming like Norman when someone walks on his tail?

I once enquired about this at the Mairie. Our neighbour built a monstrosity of a "barn".

The only objections that hold water are legal ones eg height, distance from boundary etc. You can't just say you don't like it, it's ugly , don't like the materials etc. Well you can say things like that but they won't affect the outcome.  So I was told.

You said 'won the right to build a wall between us'. Does that mean that the planning permission is already in place???

Distance from the boundary and the height are the things you can discuss. I hope that the boundary is not in question, sometimes it is with these things.

Potential height. His land is about two metres above mine and at present slopes down to a retaining wall about a metre high(mine). He wants to build a higher retaining wall just inside his land in order to square off the slope. And continue at a lower level round the rest of his property.

I find the two metres already too high and if someone else goes above that then it could be quite overbearing. Then there is the question of drainage which at present is no problem, but there are a number of small streams which drain through my wall. If he gets these wrong, then my downstairs could get flooded.

To access the area he needs to use my right of passage across his land which I have relaid with hardcore and topping to make it comfy and well drained ( as well as inserting land drains to drain the streams from his land. The diggers will slaughter the surface, turn it into mud and stop me accessing when I want, besides the potential to damage the drains, as well as my water pipe which runs there too.

Grumpy![:@]

Edited, I didn't notice that you had a right of passage on his land, so I suppose that whatever you have done on there is actually his. 

Yes, you'd better go down to the Mairie and also make sure that you have your legal costs covered on your house insurance, as it sounds like you may need them.

Archived