Complete France Forum

On a lighter note ....

nomoss

What car did you take your test in?

Here's mine, a 1938 Morris 18 (not the actual car). I think the man was truly frightened, but couldn't do anything about it!

[URL=http://s857.photobucket.com/user/nomoss/media/Posted%20on%20Forums/A1938_Morris18-6_zps21fb4d78.jpg.html][IMG]http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/nomoss/Posted%20on%20Forums/A1938_Morris18-6_zps21fb4d78.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

They look huge in a photo but in fact were a tiny tiny vehicle, our family of 5 used to go off on camping holidays in a morris 8 tourer, baby Chancer was strapped in the dicky seat at the back amongts the luggage, when it rained the family put the hood up but it was tough luck for me being outside.

Not a lot has changed in the intervening years [:(]

On a positive note spending so much time on the outside and in the exhaust stream, not forgetting all the oil fumes from the engine is what probably made me a petrolhead and a lover of the great outdoors.

I took my test in a complete wreck of a 1957 A35, no synchro on first and it was worn out on all the other gears so I had to double declutch every shift which probably got me browny points, the hyydraulic brakes operated the mechanicl handbrake on the rear axle, the system was so worn the only way I could get a pedal was to bolt up the sliding yoke which meant whenever I applied the brakes the handbrake would come up and remain engaged with the ratchet. When i released the brakes I had to accelerate so he wouldnt realise what was going on whilst simultaneously and surrepticiously releasing the handbrake that was on the drivers side.

Oh and when the instructor got in I had to lean across and lock his door by the means of a sliding toilet door bolt on the inside, I was a rather inexperienced bodger back then.

I think that I drove OK but in all probability he probably didnt want to face getting in the car with me again, it was 14 days after my 17th birthday and I had never had any driving lessons, I passed [:D][:D]

I took my test at 17 and passed first time in my 1958 Ford Consul MkII. Mine was the first test of the morning and the examiner emptied his briefcase onto the space between us (bench seat) and sorted it out.

Never had a lesson just had my dad sit alongside me - he was a terrible driver and I told him I just wanted him to be there to be legal.

Mine too at 17, although I can't remember what sort of car it was - driving school one.

I reversed up a kerb and then got *******ed by the tester for not driving fast enough!  He said that it was more than doubtful that I would ever drive at 27mph in real life, so "Get a move on".

I flunked the Highway Code, but he still passed me - "You're safe and that's what matters". 

I was older than you lot, 21 years and saved up cash from my first proper job for 11 lessons and then the test.  Learnt and took test in a vile, evil Austin Allegro.  How such an awful car ever saw the light of day and why anyone bought one is beyond me.

This was at time when the testers didn't wear seatbelts for some reason.  We were about to do the emergency stop bit and just as he looked round to make sure nothing was behind us, a dog ran out.  I stood on the brakes and the tester whacked his head on the windscreen.  I think he thought I was being funny untill I pointed out the dog.  The test ended just after that and I passed first go [:D]

Archived