Complete France Forum

Tom Sharpe has left us. Such a great writer

woolybanana

Wilt has gone, Porterhouse is Blue, at the announcement of the death of Tom Sharpe, one of my author heroes whose satires went direct to my sense of the absurd and who described PMberg (Pietermaritzburg in RSA) and a particular type of Afrikaner perfectly.

But I am sure his writing will leave on in the great tradition of Swift and Pope.

RIP Tom

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22795507

Really sorry to hear that he was one of my favourite authors too, I have all his books.  He was one of those geniuses that could take the everyday and mundane, give it a slight twist and come up with something  hilarious but at the same time thought provoking

Me too [:(]

I think that I have all his books, 2 copies of some, one in each country, and then there are the multiple replacements that I have bought where I have lent one to various people who enjoyed them so much they didnt return them!

One tip, if the sad news makes you want to go out and buy the last book that he wrote in recent years after a long break, follow the advice of one of the reviews on Amazon, dont bother, re-read an old one and laugh out loud again, sadly the master had lost his touch with the last book.

He has brought pleasure to many, if only he had lived in France for a while instead of the R.S.A. can you imagine what best sellers he would have written!!!

Archived