Complete France Forum

Earthquake in Wellington

nomoss

I'd heard about the latest range of earthquakes felt in the south of North Island and north of South Island, apparently centred on Wellington, Seddon and Marlborough. It was more powerful than the earthquake in July and also the one that hit Christchurch in 2011, but I guess the effects were less because of it being centred on Cook Strait. Maybe it wasn't 'news' over here because nobody died or was badly injured and there was such a lot of both in Egypt.

On a happier note, the new cardboard cathedral in Christchurch has been dedicated - it's hoped it will last for 50 years.

Thanks GG, we missed it somehow. We're not tied to the TV all day, but like to know what's going on, so put BBC News on every morning, then check France 24 and Aljazeera for a less parochial outlook, and listen again a couple of times during the day if we're in.

I'll admit we were up late yesterday, and switched off the TV news a few times because it was just repeating the same loop showing the Cairo events, but it was a bit of a shock to hear about the earthquake by email.

Perhaps we'll go back to BBC World News on radio, now via satellite. We used to listen in bed every morning before they stopped radio broadcasts to Europe, but our two expensive radios just gather dust now.[:(]

Archived