Complete France Forum

On this day in 1805.....

woolybanana

I know a survivor of the Aberfan disaster.  She didn't go to shcool that day as she was ill.

The family had to move away shortly afterwards because they couldn't stand the persecution along the lines of 'Why isn't she dead?'

Grief can do terrible things.

On a lighter note.  It has long been known that in Nelson's time  "To the water, now is the time!" was the motto of the French navy - that is, until British derision greeted their cries of "A l'eau, c'est l'heure!"  [6]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I know a survivor of the Aberfan disaster.  She didn't go to shcool that day as she was ill.

The family had to move away shortly afterwards because they couldn't stand the persecution along the lines of 'Why isn't she dead?'

Grief can do terrible things.

[6][/quote]

Must have been made even worse by the money collected to help the families had to pay to move the slag heap because the Coal Board would not pay - absolutely disgusting.

I remember the disgraceful way the money was spent with particular bitterness.

I gave more generously than I could really afford because I felt such a personal connection to it. It was an early lesson in giving to charity. I thought I was helping families.

Hoddy

Archived