Complete France Forum

Floods UK .Travel Problems

Frederick

There is a first time for everything ...and I had mine today ...... I was forced to turn back and abandon a drive into Saftesbury at Tollard Royal due to road closures by flooding ..I have never experienced that before ! .

Many of our  village roads here in Dorset  now have fast moving water going down  them as its pouring off  fields and out of the chalk hills ... .  I hope other forum members are safe and if planning a trip.  Check you can get to your destination ....Expect to be diverted if going off the main roads into Dorset villages .

"Check you can get to your destination"!! Ha! Where I live it;s been a case of "check you can get out of the end of your road" since Wednesday. We are within a hair's breadth of living on an island in the Thames.....

Windsor Castle currently has a moat covering several hundred acres.

Cookham village near to where my mother lives, is virtually cut off and they have had to open a causeway they swore was never going to be used in times of flood, again. Sonning has 2 ft flood in parts and traffic has to go via Henley where the water is over the road and the road is closed causing traffic tail backs of several miles ( to Hurley) just to cross the Thames....

Maidenhead has the ' jubilee relief scheme' but even so there are bad floods roundabout....

In Maidenheads case they have built on flood plain for years despite being warned of the consequences.....

Luckily my mother, my daughter and I all live on houses which are on a hill!

My daughter lives on the edge of the Somerset levels and says its horrendous.Apparently 600 cows drowned on one farm in the floods there. My family near to Marlow but luckily not near the river where it is flooded well into the fields.Bisham is well under water and all along from Henley,Goring and upto Dorchester on Thames.

Archived