Complete France Forum

Restricting non-residents' rights to UK tax personal allowance

minnie

Has anyone read this consultation document -

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/restricting-non-residents-entitlement-to-the-uk-personal-allowance/restricting-non-residents-entitlemen

This might mean that ex UK Government employees who have to pay their tax in UK could lose their personal allowance. There must be thousands of people in this position.

It doesn't actually say that the whole allowance would be lost does it? Just the rules change and be less generous.

ie IF you were living in the UK with a french government pension and had to

pay tax on that in France, you would be paying far far more to the impots as a french non resident

than you would as a french resident. 

Initially we had to pay retenue a la source in France when we moved back to the UK and our french tax bill doubled.

something along the lines of 10% allowance and then 20% impots on the rest, with a plafond when it goes up to some amount I never had to look into as it was way beyond our budget.

I only know about France, but maybe it is like that in other countries too, so why wouldn't they change it?

Incidentally, the british government has been ruthless with several things over the last two or three years, they do not give a hoot as to the effects of their measures, they simply do whatever they want. At least this report sounded sort of reasonable, I have read others that have not been.

I guess it's considered logical. After all, those of us not permanently resident in France don't get the tax breaks that residents get which reduce their local taxes.

There's also the consideration that most civil servants have the luxury of retiring early on healthy pensions, funded by the taxpayer.

In an ongoing period of collective belt tightening, nobody is a special case.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I guess it's considered logical. After all, those of us not permanently resident in France don't get the tax breaks that residents get which reduce their local taxes.

There's also the consideration that most civil servants have the luxury of retiring early on healthy pensions, funded

by the taxpayer.

In an ongoing period of collective belt tightening, nobody is a special case.[/quote]

Are you so sure?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-cameron-george-osborne-cash-3945641

Archived